About This Chapter
Proportions & Ratios in Algebra Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Check out this teacher resource chapter to plan and supplement lessons about proportions and ratios in algebra. The chapter includes comprehensive lesson plan outlines that cover the basics of ratios, proportions and direct variation. To enhance the quality of your instruction, try including the chapter's supplemental lessons into your curriculum. We've also included fun class activities and games to help your students reinforce their understanding of direct variation and related concepts.
How It Helps
- Lesson planning: Allows you to plan informative, simple and interesting lessons on proportions and ratios at any time that fits your schedule.
- Student engagement: Incorporates entertaining games and activities to help your students have fun while learning about ratios and proportions
- Additional resources: Includes related topical lessons that you can use to prompt class discussion about important algebra concepts.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning lessons about proportions and ratios easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific proportion and ratio topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your algebra class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related proportion and ratio lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important proportion and ratio concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant proportion and ratio activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Proportion Lesson Plan
Want to have some fun teaching your students about proportion? In this lesson plan, you'll find a video lesson that provides a solid background and walks students through some introductory problems and an activity that uses classroom characteristics to provide practice in calculating proportion.
2. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
3. Ratio Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students all about ratios. Students start off learning what a ratio is, then how to write and use them. Finish up with a fun activity.
4. What is Ratio in Math? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson, learn the different ways that mathematicians write ratios. Also learn how ratios are used when cooking. You will also discover how to effectively use ratios to help you get things done.
5. Direct Variation Lesson Plan
After reviewing linear equations, introduce students to direct variation. Multiple examples will be solved as students work toward a culminating activity in which they come up with unique examples to solve with partners.
6. Direct Variation: Definition, Formula & Examples
What is the relationship between the distance a car travels when cruise control is activated and the amount of money you have in the bank when you save regularly? Both are examples of direct variation. Learn more about direct variation in this lesson.
7. Direct Variation Activities & Games
Is it time for your secondary math and science students to study direct variation? These hands-on activities and engaging games will help your curriculum come alive.
8. Ratios & Rates Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn basic information on ratios and rates. They will use active exploration and creative composition to solidify their own understanding of these concepts.
9. Ratios & Proportions Calculations Lesson Plan
As students learn about ratios and proportions, consider using this lesson. Students will use assorted candy to write ratios and proportions and then apply this knowledge to calculating ingredients for a recipe.
10. Ratio and Proportion Activities for Middle School
Ratios and proportions can be a difficult subject to grasp. The following activities can be used in middle-school classrooms to help students understand ratios and proportions in a more concrete way.
11. Ratio and Proportion Activities for High School
Ratios can be very important in the real world. The activities in this asset offer multiple collaborative activities to give students hands-on, interactive and engaging practice with the use of ratios and proportions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra Lesson Plans & Activities course