About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Protozoan Diseases chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Toxoplasmosis and Giardia||Transmission, causes and symptoms for Toxoplasma gondii and Giardia lamblia|
|Tuesday||Malaria||Causes, prevention and control of malaria; drug treatment options|
|Wednesday||Amoebic dysentery||The Entamoeba histolytica protozoan; causes and treatments|
|Thursday||Sleeping Sickness||The Trypanosoma brucei protozoan; tsetse fly transmission|
|Friday||Cryptosporidiosis and Trichomoniasis||Diseases caused by the Cryptosporidium and Trichomonas vaginalis protozoans|
1. Toxoplasmosis: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Would you believe that 30-60% of people on the planet have been infected by a parasite and most never even know it? In this lesson, we will examine the disease toxoplasmosis and its causative agent, Toxoplasma gondii.
2. What is Giardia? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
The anaerobic parasite Giardia lamblia is one of the most common intestinal protozoans in the United States. In this lesson, we examine the major characteristics of Giardia and discuss treatment and prevention options.
3. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
4. Malaria: Prevention and Treatment
In this lesson examining malaria, we will look at the impact of the disease in the U.S. and the major methods of preventing the disease. We will also discuss how to correctly treat patients stricken by malaria.
5. Entamoeba Histolytica & Amoebic Dysentery: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Every science class starting in middle school, examines the Amoeba. In this lesson, we will dig into the world of one potentially deadly amoeba, Entamoeba histolytica, and the diseases it can cause. You probably didn't learn about this in Intro Bio!
6. What is Sleeping Sickness? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
African sleeping sickness is a devastating disease in equatorial Africa, which is spread through the bite of the tsetse fly. In this lesson, we will look at the causative agent, Trypanosoma, and the major characteristics of the disease.
7. Cryptosporidiosis: Causes & Symptoms
Cryptosporidium is a protozoan parasite that can cause serious gastrointestinal distress. In this lesson, we will investigate the general characteristics of Crypto and what symptoms to expect if you are ever infected.
8. Trichomoniasis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Protozoa don't often cause sexually transmitted diseases. One exception is Trichomonas vaginalis. In this lesson we will investigate the major characteristics of this unique parasite.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Microorganisms & the Environment Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- RNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques: Microbiology Lesson Plans