About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other microbiology work.
- Identify the protozoan diseases concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college microbiology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about protozoan diseases and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the types, causes, transmission methods, symptoms, prevention and treatment of protozoan diseases or any other related topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their biology learning
- Prefer learning biology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their protozoan diseases unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in microbiology
- Don't have access to their biology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about protozoan diseases simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live microbiology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn protozoan diseases on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Explain the causes and symptoms of toxoplasmosis.
- Describe the symptoms of giardia and explain how it is transmitted.
- Learn the causes and symptoms of malaria and discuss how it is transmitted.
- Discuss the treatment and prevention of malaria.
- Become familiar with the causes and symptoms of amoebic dysentery.
- Understand how sleeping sickness is transmitted and describe its symptoms.
- Learn the causes and symptoms of cryptosporidiosis.
- Describe the symptoms, causes and treatment of trichomoniasis.
1. Toxoplasmosis: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Would you believe that 30-60% of people on the planet have been infected by a parasite and most never even know it? In this lesson, we will examine the disease toxoplasmosis and its causative agent, Toxoplasma gondii.
2. What is Giardia? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
The anaerobic parasite Giardia lamblia is one of the most common intestinal protozoans in the United States. In this lesson, we examine the major characteristics of Giardia and discuss treatment and prevention options.
3. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
4. Malaria: Prevention and Treatment
In this lesson examining malaria, we will look at the impact of the disease in the U.S. and the major methods of preventing the disease. We will also discuss how to correctly treat patients stricken by malaria.
5. Entamoeba Histolytica & Amoebic Dysentery: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Every science class starting in middle school, examines the Amoeba. In this lesson, we will dig into the world of one potentially deadly amoeba, Entamoeba histolytica, and the diseases it can cause. You probably didn't learn about this in Intro Bio!
6. What is Sleeping Sickness? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
African sleeping sickness is a devastating disease in equatorial Africa, which is spread through the bite of the tsetse fly. In this lesson, we will look at the causative agent, Trypanosoma, and the major characteristics of the disease.
7. Cryptosporidiosis: Causes & Symptoms
Cryptosporidium is a protozoan parasite that can cause serious gastrointestinal distress. In this lesson, we will investigate the general characteristics of Crypto and what symptoms to expect if you are ever infected.
8. Trichomoniasis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Protozoa don't often cause sexually transmitted diseases. One exception is Trichomonas vaginalis. In this lesson we will investigate the major characteristics of this unique parasite.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology: Tutoring Solution course
- Biology Review for Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Microorganisms and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- The Disease Process: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses in Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- RNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- Fungal Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bloodborne Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Tutoring Solution
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Tutoring Solution
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Sterilization and Antiseptic Techniques: Tutoring Solution