About This Chapter
Protozoan Diseases - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Protozoa are unicellular eukaryotic organisms. Sometimes they can cause diseases. These protozoan diseases are the focus of this chapter. Lessons will cover different diseases, such as giardia and malaria. You'll also learn about what causes these diseases, including the protozoa they are linked to. Additionally, lessons will cover how such diseases are transmitted and the symptoms a person may experience if they are infected by the disease. In some lessons, the treatment process is also discussed. Some of the specific diseases covered in this chapter include:
- Amoebic dysentery
- Sleeping sickness
|Toxoplasmosis: Definition, Causes & Symptoms||Discover what toxoplasmosis is, what causes it and its symptoms.|
|What is Giardia? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms||Explore giardia, its causes, transmission and symptoms.|
|What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms||Examine what causes malaria, its symptoms and how it is transmitted.|
|Malaria: Prevention and Treatment||Study the treatment and preventions methods for malaria.|
|Entamoeba Histolytica & Amoebic Dysentery: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment||Take a look at Entamoeba histolytica, which causes amoebic dysentery.|
|What is Sleeping Sickness? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms||Find out how Trypanosoma brucei and the tsetse fly cause sleeping sickness.|
|Cryptosporidiosis: Causes & Symptoms||Analyze how cryptosporidiosis is caused by Cryptosporidium.|
|Trichomoniasis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment||Learn how Trichomonas vaginalis causes this disease and how the disease is treated.|
1. Toxoplasmosis: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Would you believe that 30-60% of people on the planet have been infected by a parasite and most never even know it? In this lesson, we will examine the disease toxoplasmosis and its causative agent, Toxoplasma gondii.
2. What is Giardia? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
The anaerobic parasite Giardia lamblia is one of the most common intestinal protozoans in the United States. In this lesson, we examine the major characteristics of Giardia and discuss treatment and prevention options.
3. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
4. Malaria: Prevention and Treatment
In this lesson examining malaria, we will look at the impact of the disease in the U.S. and the major methods of preventing the disease. We will also discuss how to correctly treat patients stricken by malaria.
5. Entamoeba Histolytica & Amoebic Dysentery: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Every science class starting in middle school, examines the Amoeba. In this lesson, we will dig into the world of one potentially deadly amoeba, Entamoeba histolytica, and the diseases it can cause. You probably didn't learn about this in Intro Bio!
6. What is Sleeping Sickness? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
African sleeping sickness is a devastating disease in equatorial Africa, which is spread through the bite of the tsetse fly. In this lesson, we will look at the causative agent, Trypanosoma, and the major characteristics of the disease.
7. Cryptosporidiosis: Causes & Symptoms
Cryptosporidium is a protozoan parasite that can cause serious gastrointestinal distress. In this lesson, we will investigate the general characteristics of Crypto and what symptoms to expect if you are ever infected.
8. Trichomoniasis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Protozoa don't often cause sexually transmitted diseases. One exception is Trichomonas vaginalis. In this lesson we will investigate the major characteristics of this unique parasite.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards