About This Chapter
Providing Nutritional Care - Chapter Summary
Study ways to provide nutritional care with help from entertaining lessons. You'll get reacquainted with prenatal care, nutritional needs during breastfeeding, as well as nutritonal requirements in adulthood and older adulthood. Discover how stress impacts digestion, the impact of diet on pulmonary disease, and more. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- List and describe foods that optimize athletic performance before, during and after competition
- Differentiate between food allergies and intolerances
- Provide a description of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
- Identify and discuss pre-diabetic diet plan ideas and recommendations
- Share facts about common gastrointestinal disorders and dietary interventions
- Exhibit knowledge of diet-affected genetic metabolic disorders
- Discuss recommendations for nutrition during cancer treatment
- Outline nutritional considerations for patients with HIV and AIDS
Each lesson in this chapter is accompanied by a short quiz designed to check your comprehension of concepts covered. If questions arise during your exploration of the lessons, forward them to our subject-matter experts. Before the day of your test, check your overall understanding of this chapter by taking the practice exam. These study resources are accessible 24 hours a day and can be viewed using devices such as computers, smartphones or tablets.
1. Prenatal Care: Nutrition
Does the saying 'You're now eating for two' mean that a pregnant women should double her caloric intake? What types of foods are needed during pregnancy? What about foods to avoid? Learn this and more in this lesson on prenatal nutrition.
2. Nutritional Needs During Breastfeeding
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional requirements during breastfeeding. You will gain a clear understanding of the types of foods and beverages recommended as well as how much is recommended for women who are breastfeeding.
3. Nutrition Needs During Adulthood
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional requirements during adulthood. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns facing grown-ups, as well as daily dietary recommendations for adults.
4. Nutrition Needs for Older Adults
In this lesson, we will exam the nutritional needs of older adults. You will learn about nutrition-related concerns of seniors and gain knowledge about dietary recommendations.
5. Foods to Optimize Athletic Performance Before, During & After Competition
Competitive athletes rely on good nutrition to give them an edge over their competition. Learn about carbohydrate loading as well as foods athletes use before, during and after competitions to enhance performance and endurance.
6. Food Allergies & Intolerances: Differences & Treatments
Food allergies and food intolerances are not the same thing. A food allergy can be a life-threatening condition that requires immediate medical attention. Learn about the differences between allergies and intolerances and how both are treated in this lesson.
7. How Stress Affects Digestion
Stress can do more to your digestive system than leave you with an upset stomach. Learn how stress affects digestion, including conditions that have been linked to stress, such as irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease.
8. Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. You can follow the DASH diet to decrease your blood pressure and lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. Learn which foods are part of the DASH diet and how much of each food to consume.
9. Pre-Diabetic Diet Plan Ideas & Recommendations
Hearing that you may be pre-diabetic can be pretty scary. Read further in this lesson to learn how this condition can be reversed with lifestyle changes like diet and exercise.
10. Common Gastrointestinal Disorders & Dietary Interventions
Common GI disorders, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease, are irritated by certain foods. Learn about foods that should be avoided as well as foods that benefit the GI tract.
11. Diet-Affected Genetic Metabolic Disorders
This lesson covers diet-affected metabolic disorders, which are genetic diseases that interfere with the body's ability to break down substances and require a special diet that avoids these substances. Learn about two disorders: PKU and MSUD.
12. The Impact of Diet on Pulmonary Disease
The foods you eat can impact your breathing. Discover why good nutrition is an important consideration for those with a pulmonary disease. Learn which foods are recommended for those suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
13. Nutrition Recommendations During Cancer Treatment
It is important for a cancer patient to follow a nutritious diet and maintain a healthy weight. Learn about nutritional recommendations during cancer treatment and how to overcome obstacles, such as a loss of appetite, nausea and taste changes.
14. Nutritional Considerations for HIV & AIDS Patients
It is important for patients with HIV and AIDS to follow a healthy diet. Proper nutrition supports the immune system, controls cholesterol and prevents excessive weight loss. Learn about specific nutritional considerations for HIV and AIDS patients.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards