About This Chapter
About the PSAT Test - Chapter Summary
Use our basic PSAT chapter to learn about the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT)/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT). These easy-to-follow lessons have been designed to provide you with a big-picture look at the test so you'll know what to expect on exam day. In this chapter, the instructor will:
- Explain the purpose of the PSAT
- Talk about the test subjects and sections
- Show you how to prepare for the PSAT
Our introductory PSAT chapter is the first step in helping you decide if you're ready to take the exam. Each brief video lesson is followed by an online quiz that will show you how well you understood the materials.
The PSAT is a 3-section, standardized test offered by both the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). It can help you get ready for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and provide you with the chance for some real-life practice in taking a timed exam. By taking the PSAT, you'll also be eligible for career and school resources and NMSC scholarship programs. Our lessons on the PSAT include the following objectives:
- Understanding the registration process
- Understanding what types of questions you'll be asked
- Understanding how much time you'll have to complete the test sections
- Understanding how the test will be scored
The PSAT consists of a critical reading, mathematical and writing section. Each section lasts 35-70 minutes and includes 44-48 questions.
1. What is the PSAT 8/9? - Information, Structure & Scoring
The PSAT 8/9 is the first of several similar standardized tests that culminate in the SAT. Read on to learn why you may want to take the test, how it is structured and scored, and resources to help you prepare for it.
2. What Is the PSAT 10? - Information, Structure & Scoring
Get the information you need to understand the PSAT 10 with this article. Find out how the test is set up, when to take it, how it is scored and ways that you can prepare.
3. What is the PSAT?
Learn what the PSAT/NMSQT is and whether you should consider taking it (hint: if you're applying to college, the answer is probably yes). If you're new to the test, this is the lesson to start with!
4. Understanding the PSAT Test Structure
Confused by all the weird acronyms and standardized test jargon? Watch this lesson to get a breakdown of the section structure, subject areas, question types, and scoring system on the PSAT.
5. How to Be Ready for Test Day
Don't let poor preparation on test day undo all the work you did to get ready for the test. In this lesson, you'll learn some strategies for the big day from a master of time management.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability