About This Chapter
About the PSAT Test - Chapter Summary
Let our PSAT Math chapter help you get ready for the arithmetic questions on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT)/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT). In these easy-to-follow lessons, you'll learn about the use of a calculator during the test, how difficult the problems may be to solve and other important information. Beginning with the first video, your instructor will:
- Give you a detailed overview of the PSAT math section
- Provide you with some test-taking strategies
- Explain how the questions are presented
Our PSAT Math chapter is designed to provide you with a snapshot of the exam so both the format and schedule will look and feel familiar on test day. To make sure that you understood the lesson, each video is followed by an online quiz that covers all of the key points discussed in the videos.
The PSAT is offered by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). Its purpose is to help you prepare for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). The exam is made up of five timed-sections, including math. After you take the PSAT, you'll have access to some career and college resources, including NMSC's scholarship programs. Our PSAT Math videos have the following objectives:
- To help you understand how the PSAT is laid out, timed and scored
- To show you how to use the test reference area
- To explain the use of 'grid-ins' on the PSAT
- To familiarize you with the multiple-choice format
The math section of the PSAT has two sections. One section allows the use of a calculator and the other does not. Together, the sections must be completed inside of 70 minutes.
1. Understanding the Structure of the PSAT Math Section
In this lesson, you'll get an overview of how the PSAT math section is set up, including the calculator and no calculator sections, and what you need to know about the grid-in, or free-response, problems.
2. PSAT Math Section: Test Taking Strategies
Looking for some tips on strategy for the PSAT Math test? You've come to the right place! Learn how to manage your time wisely and beat the traps that the test throws at you in this lesson.
3. SAT and PSAT Math: Multiple Choice and Grid-In Questions
There's no need to stress about the question types on the SAT or PSAT math section. In this lesson, you'll get an overview of both the multiple-choice and the grid-in questions and learn how to tackle them properly.
4. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
5. Solving PSAT Math Problems with Number Lines
The PSAT is a standardized test that includes a math section. In this lesson, we will investigate the types of problems on the PSAT that involve using number lines to reach answers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- PSAT Prep Flashcards