About This Chapter
PSAT Math: Exponents - Chapter Summary
Watch our video lessons that cover exponent concepts for help when preparing for the PSAT math test. Our exponent video lessons provide insight on the following topics:
- Identifying the five main exponent properties
- Defining zero and negative exponents
- Simplifying expressions with exponents and rational exponents
With the help from our exponent-based lessons, you will be better prepared to work toward a high score on the PSAT math test. These lessons allow you to focus on key elements by watching bite-sized, easy-to-understand videos. We also offer supplementary quizzes that test your knowledge regarding exponents. After you complete these quizzes, you're given immediate feedback on the concepts you excel at and the concepts you'll likely need to spend more time studying.
PSAT Math Objectives
The PSAT math test has 48 questions across two sections (calculator and non-calculator) that must be completed within 70 minutes. The following three areas are emphasized on the PSAT math test:
- Heart of Algebra
- Problem solving and data analysis
- Passport to Advanced Math
Cosponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), the PSAT aims to help you become familiar with the SAT format, and it allows you to gauge your preparedness to take the SAT. Your PSAT scores are used to identify trouble areas that need to be strengthened. By taking the PSAT, you are granted the opportunity to use the NMSC's tools for college and career planning. The NMSC may select you to participate in their scholarship programs depending on your PSAT scores.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability