About This Chapter
PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement - Chapter Summary
You will find that these video lessons help develop your knowledge in geometry and measurement concepts so that you feel comfortable when taking the PSAT math test. These video lessons prepare you to answer questions in the math portion of the PSAT, such as:
- Finding distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
- Identifying similar triangles, calculating the volumes of basic shapes and graphing an absolute value
- Graphing undefined and zero slopes
- Determining the area of triangles, rectangles and circles
- Identifying the types of angles
- Understanding the properties of 3-D objects
By studying the geometry and measurement concepts found above, you may be closer to achieving a high score when taking the PSAT math test. Our training is presented through easy-to-digest, short video lessons and supplementary quizzes. The quizzes were developed to provide you feedback that helps you assess your progress with geometry and measurement concepts.
PSAT Math Objectives
The PSAT math test has 48 questions that must be completed within 70 minutes. The following three areas are emphasized on the PSAT math test:
- Heart of Algebra
- Problem solving and data analysis
- Passport to Advanced Math
The PSAT is tasked with helping you gauge how ready you may be to take the SAT, as well as assisting you to become familiar with the SAT's format. After receiving your PSAT scores, you can decide which areas of focus you may want to develop or maintain. Since the PSAT is cosponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), you will be able to use their resources for career and college planning. Depending on your PSAT scores, you may qualify for an NMSC scholarship program.
1. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
3. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
4. What are 3D Shapes? - Definition & Examples
What's the difference between 2D and 3D shapes? Learn the answer to this question in this lesson. You will also explore what makes spheres and cubes 3D shapes.
5. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
6. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
7. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. In this lesson, learn how to find the area and circumference of circles by working through several examples.
8. Graphing Circles: Identifying the Formula, Center and Radius
Discover how to graph circles by finding key information like the center and radius. Identify circles by simply looking at the formula, and vice versa.
9. Converting Between Radians and Degrees
Angles can be measured in degrees or radians. This lesson will explore the difference and provide you with a simple calculation that can be used to convert degrees into radians and radians into degrees.
10. Measurements of Lengths Involving Tangents, Chords and Secants
The lengths of chords, tangents and secants take on unique relationships when they're drawn on circles. In this lesson, we'll define those relationships and see them in action.
11. Finding the Area of a Sector: Formula & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you'll review your knowledge of circle vocabulary and then discover how to calculate the area of a sector of a circle. The lesson covers finding the area of the sector using degrees and radians.
12. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
13. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
14. Congruency of Right Triangles: Definition of LA and LL Theorems
In this lesson, we'll learn two theorems that help us prove when two right triangles are congruent to one another. The LA theorem, or leg-acute, and LL theorem, or leg-leg, are useful shortcuts for proving congruence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- PSAT Prep Flashcards