About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering PSAT math preparation material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn PSAT math topics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding rational equations and performing arithmetic operations with rational expressions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of preparing for the PSAT (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about rational equations and expressions for the PSAT
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra PSAT preparation resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any rational equations or expressions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a rational equations and expressions unit of a standard PSAT prep course. Topics covered include:
- Solutions for rational equations
- Multiplication and division of rational expressions
- Addition and subtraction of rational expressions
1. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
2. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
3. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
4. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
5. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
6. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Help and Review course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Help and Review
- PSAT Prep: General Info
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Help and Review
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Functions: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Help and Review