About This Chapter
PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions - Chapter Summary
In order to get an idea of what types of questions may appear on the PSAT math test, you'll want to watch our video lessons that cover rational equations and expressions. Our video lessons cover topics in:
- Adding and subtracting rational expressions
- Solving a rational equation
- Multiplying and dividing rational expressions
By watching the rational equations and expressions video lessons listed above, you're more inclined to be prepared for the PSAT math test. We offer rational equations and expressions training through videos that are easy-to-understand and concise. There are also quizzes that were conceived with the intention of providing you immediate feedback. Use the feedback to determine your preparedness for the PSAT math test.
PSAT Math Objectives
The PSAT math test has 48 questions that must be completed within 70 minutes. Eight of those questions are student produced responses, which are also know as grid-in responses. The following three areas are emphasized on the PSAT math test:
- Heart of Algebra
- Problem solving and data analysis
- Passport to Advanced Math
The PSAT's main purposes are to give you an idea of the SAT format and to help you decided if you are ready to take the SAT. Your PSAT scores can help you find out your weaknesses and strengths. Because the PSAT is cosponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), you're granted access to additional tools that can be used to plan for college and your career. If you obtain a high score on the PSAT, the NMSC may consider you for their scholarship programs.
1. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
2. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
3. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
4. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
5. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
6. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability