About This Chapter
PSAT Reading: Reading Passages - Chapter Summary
By watching these video lessons, you will learn concepts that appear on the PSAT critical reading test. Our video lessons train you in the following reading concepts:
- What to expect from reading passages
- Identifying reading passage question types
- Reading long or double passages
- Developing and understanding test-taking strategies
After completing our video lessons, you will be prepared to for questions regarding reading passages on the PSAT critical reading rest. Our content is presented with short, straightforward videos. Quizzes are also provided to help you determine your preparedness for the PSAT. Quiz scores are delivered to you immediately after quiz completion to show you which weaknesses you need to spend more time developing.
PSAT Critical Reading Objectives
The PSAT critical reading test consists of 47 questions that must be completed within 60 minutes. The main purpose of the PSAT is to help you decide if you're ready to take the SAT. You will also get an idea of what the SAT will look like. Scores received from this test help you to direct focus on your indicated weaknesses.
The PSAT is brought to you with the help of the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). This means that you receive the benefits of NMSC tools for planning your career or college enrollment. If you earned higher scores than most other people who took the PSAT, the NMSC may select you to take part in a scholarship program.
1. Types & Content of PSAT Reading Passages
Preparing to take the PSAT? This lesson explores the types of reading passages that you will find on the reading portion of the PSAT. Let's get started!
2. Question Types for PSAT Passage-Based Readings
Get to know the PSAT Reading Test better! This lesson discusses the types of questions that you will need to answer in the PSAT Reading Test to prepare you to feel confident as you go to take the PSAT.
3. Practice with Long Reading Passages on the PSAT
In this lesson, you'll practice working with a long reading passage like those found on the PSAT. You will learn techniques for analyzing the passage, and strategies for answering questions.
4. Practice with PSAT Double Reading Passages
In this lesson, we explore the PSAT double reading passages portion of the Reading Test. We discuss some strategies for attacking this part, while also providing an example and some example questions in the quiz.
5. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
In this lesson, we will examine test taking strategies involved in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Breaking the process down into manageable parts, we will take a look at the literary text, the question itself, and then the given choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability