About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the sentence completions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to handle problems about sentence completions and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to strengthen vocabulary, use context to determine word meaning, respond to one- and two-blank sentence completions or any other sentence completions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their learning
- Prefer learning reading skills visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their sentence completions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning sentence completions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about sentence completions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Practice working with one- and two-sentence completion questions.
- Discover how to broaden your vocabulary.
- Review how to find the meanings of words through context clues, word structure and prior knowledge.
1. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
2. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution