About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the reading passages concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to understand reading passages and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding inference, visualization, connotation, big picture reading, literary interpretation or any other understanding reading passages topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their learning
- Prefer learning reading skills visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their understanding reading passages unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to understand reading passages simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn how to understand reading passages on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn to analyze literary passages and get the gist of essays.
- Discover how to use visualization.
- Compare connotation and denotation.
- Examine the importance of mood and tone in passages.
- Understand how structure can affect meaning.
- Differentiate between big picture and close reading.
- Find out how to use text in guiding your interpretation of passages.
1. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
2. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
In this lesson, we will define the terms inference and intended meaning. We will then discuss what steps to take when making inferences in literature.
3. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
4. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
5. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples
Discover the difference between a word's denotation and its connotation in this lesson. Explore how authors use both denotation and connotation to add layers of meaning to their work with some literary examples.
6. Understanding Tone and Mood in a Reading Passage
In this lesson, we will define the literary terms tone and mood. We will then discuss how to identify each of them, as well as how to identify them in small reading passages.
7. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
8. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
9. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
In this lesson, we will discuss how to find and interpret literary meaning in writings. The lesson will focus on using the text to find key elements to guide your interpretation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution