About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering PSAT preparation material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn higher scores. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how to prepare for the PSAT writing section
- Need an efficient way to learn about the PSAT writing section
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers
- Missed class time and need to catch up
- Can't access extra PSAT review resources at school
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any PSAT writing section question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- What is the structure of the PSAT writing section?
- How is the PSAT writing test scored?
- What are some ways to improve sentences and paragraphs?
- How can I identify sentence errors?
1. About the PSAT Writing & Language Test
In this lesson, learn what you'll see on the Writing & Language Test on the PSAT and get some tips for cracking it. It's not like English class, so it's best to be prepared!
2. Improving Sentences on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may no longer designate certain questions as being focused on improving sentences, it will still test your ability to make a sentence both stronger and more stylistically in place.
3. Identifying Sentence Errors on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may have done away with a dedicated category of sentence error questions, that doesn't mean that you won't be asked to answer them. In this lesson, we see how to tackle these questions.
4. Improving Paragraphs on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
With the shift towards a passage-based exam, you can bet that there will be plenty of opportunities to improve paragraphs on the SAT. In this lesson, we'll review the skills you'll need to master those questions.
5. Practice with Improving Sentences for the SAT
With the 2016 changes to the SAT comes a new way at looking at an old skill: improving sentences. See how you'll be asked to improve sentences on this new version of the most popular college admissions test.
6. Practice with Identifying Sentence Errors for the SAT
Once you've learned what the identifying sentence errors questions are, watch this video to get some practice figuring them out for yourself. Explanations are included in case you get stuck.
7. Practice with Improving Paragraphs for the SAT
The SAT has undergone some pretty big changes as of March 2016, but that doesn't mean that the skills tested in improving paragraph questions have disappeared! In this lesson, we walk through a few practice problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Help and Review course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Help and Review
- PSAT Prep: General Info
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Help and Review
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Functions: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Help and Review
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Help and Review