About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the writing section concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the components of the writing section and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the structure and scoring of the writing section, difficulty and pattern of questions, types of questions, question-response strategies or any other writing section topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their learning
- Prefer learning writing skills visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the writing section of the PSAT
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the writing section simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the writing section of the PSAT on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn about the structure and timing of the writing section.
- Find out about the essay required by some schools.
- Practice sentence and paragraph improvement.
- Understand how to identify sentence errors.
1. About the PSAT Writing & Language Test
In this lesson, learn what you'll see on the Writing & Language Test on the PSAT and get some tips for cracking it. It's not like English class, so it's best to be prepared!
2. Improving Sentences on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may no longer designate certain questions as being focused on improving sentences, it will still test your ability to make a sentence both stronger and more stylistically in place.
3. Identifying Sentence Errors on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may have done away with a dedicated category of sentence error questions, that doesn't mean that you won't be asked to answer them. In this lesson, we see how to tackle these questions.
4. Improving Paragraphs on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
With the shift towards a passage-based exam, you can bet that there will be plenty of opportunities to improve paragraphs on the SAT. In this lesson, we'll review the skills you'll need to master those questions.
5. Practice with Improving Sentences for the SAT
With the 2016 changes to the SAT comes a new way at looking at an old skill: improving sentences. See how you'll be asked to improve sentences on this new version of the most popular college admissions test.
6. Practice with Identifying Sentence Errors for the SAT
Once you've learned what the identifying sentence errors questions are, watch this video to get some practice figuring them out for yourself. Explanations are included in case you get stuck.
7. Practice with Improving Paragraphs for the SAT
The SAT has undergone some pretty big changes as of March 2016, but that doesn't mean that the skills tested in improving paragraph questions have disappeared! In this lesson, we walk through a few practice problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution