About This Chapter
PSSA- ELA Grade 7: Poetry Analysis - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert and professional instructors will show your students how to effectively and accurately analyze poetry so they can be better prepared for any relevant questions on the PSSA ELA Grade 7 exam. The topics they will encounter include:
- Poetry terms
- Meaning behind poetry
- Structure of a poem or drama
- ABAB rhyme scheme poems
- Components of poetry
- Consonance, assonance and repetition
Instructors will go through all the above topics through the detailed video and text lessons. These resources will be informative, fun and quick. When your students are ready, they can take the self-assessment quizzes. These quizzes will give them the necessary practice they need to prepare for exam day. Once a student works through the entire chapter, there is a chapter test that can be taken as well. This will cover everything that the chapter covers and will have similar questions that will be seen on the PSSA- ELA Grade 7 exam.
1. Glossary of Literary Terms: Poetry
Before you start your study of poetry, you'll want to have these technical, literary and genre terms at your disposal. Read on to learn the basics of analyzing poetry!
2. Form & Meaning in Poetry
In this lesson, we will explore how form and content combine to create meaning in poetry. Along the way, we will examine the components of poetic form and content and define poetic meaning.
3. How the Structure of a Poem or Drama Contributes to Meaning
Look closely at the form of any poem or play. Authors put a lot of thought into the structure of their work. This lesson discusses how that structure contributes to the overall meaning of the piece as a whole.
4. Poems with ABAB Rhyme Scheme: Examples & Definition
In this lesson, we will delve into the wonderful world of poetry. Specifically, we will analyze poems with the ABAB rhyme scheme. After a few examples, we will analyze how poets implement this type of rhyme scheme to create memorable poems. We will conclude our lesson with a brief quiz.
5. Elements of Poetry: Rhythm
Poetry often has a defined beat or rhythm. In this lesson, you'll review the most common forms of poetic rhythm before diving deeper into how those rhythms influence the overall effect of the poem.
6. Consonance, Assonance, and Repetition: Definitions & Examples
In this lesson, explore the different ways authors repeat consonant and vowel sounds in their literary works. Learn about how writers use repeated words and phrases with well-known examples.
7. Alliteration: Definition & Examples
Alliteration is a figure of speech used to create rhythm and bring focus to a line or sentence in a piece of written material. Learn about the definition of alliteration, see examples of alliteration and test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSSA - English Language Arts Grade 7: Test Prep & Practice course
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Analyzing Text
- PSSA ELA Grade 7 - Types of Poems
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Drama Analysis
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Literary Elements
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Literary Point of View & Structure
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Word Choice & Tone
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Figurative Language
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Types of Essays
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Punctuation & Grammar
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Sentence Types & Components
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Clauses & Phrases
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Pronoun Usage
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Writing Basics
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Argumentative Writing
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Using & Citing Sources
- PSSA - English Language Arts Grade 7 Flashcards