About This Chapter
PSSA ELA Grade 7 - Types of Poems - Chapter Summary
Use this test prep chapter to help your student understand the structure and composition of various types of poetry as they prepare for the PSSA ELA Grade 7 exam. The easy-to-understand and engaging format of these lessons allow students to follow at their own pace and maintain interest in the material. By the end of this chapter, your 7th-grader will be able to identify:
- Elegy poems
- Blank verse and free verse
- Types of narrative poems
- Various forms of odes
- Sonnets and Petrarchan sonnet formats
- Structure of a ballad poem
Once your student has carefully studied the structure and examples of these types of poems, they can assess their comprehension by taking the short multiple-choice lesson quizzes and comprehensive chapter exam. If these assessments show any areas that need further review, these lessons are designed so students can easily re-examine specific topics without going through the entire lesson again. Each quiz also includes a supplemental worksheet that can be printed out and used as a study resource.
1. Elegy Poems: Definition & Examples
For centuries, people have expressed their grief for the loss of loved ones in elegies. Learn how the elegy differs from the eulogy and how Don McLean's 'American Pie' falls into the ranks of Walt Whitman's 'O Captain! My Captain!'
2. Blank Verse: Definition and Examples
Blank verse has been used in both drama and poetry for centuries. Watch this video to see how different poets use this technique to bring the audience into a trance or to jolt them into reflection.
3. What Is Free Verse Poetry? - Examples & Definition
Did you know that Walt Whitman, who lived in the mid-1800s, was influential in shaping the American identity? Find out how his writing style is connected to the King James Bible and the famous Beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
4. Narrative Poems: Types & Examples
Some of history's most famous heroes have been immortalized in narrative poetry: King Arthur, Odysseus, and even Jed Clampett. From Homer to Chaucer to Poe to The Beverly Hillbillies, narrative poetry has been used to preserve some of the world's greatest stories.
5. Odes: Forms & Examples
Have you ever appreciated something or someone so much you were inspired to write a poem? If so, then the ode is the poem for you! Learn about the three types of odes and how they are used to celebrate the people and things.
6. Sonnets: Definition & Examples
If you want to profess your love in a poem, you might not think to look back a few hundred years for inspiration. Learn how some of the greatest poets in history used the sonnet to woo their lovers.
7. Petrarchan Sonnet: Rhyme Scheme, Format & Example Poems
The sonnet is one of the most well-respected poetic forms in the English language, but did you know that this form began in Italian? Explore the inner workings of the Petrarchan sonnet and break down examples from Emma Lazarus and Joshua Mehigan.
8. What is a Ballad Poem? - Definition, Structure & Examples
Ballad poems, folk ballads. . . they're all the same, right? Not exactly. Find out the difference in this lesson, where you'll learn about ballad poems, their structure and get to see a couple examples of this poetic genre.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSSA - English Language Arts Grade 7: Test Prep & Practice course
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Analyzing Text
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Poetry Analysis
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Drama Analysis
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Literary Elements
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Literary Point of View & Structure
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Word Choice & Tone
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Figurative Language
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Types of Essays
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Punctuation & Grammar
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Sentence Types & Components
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Clauses & Phrases
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Pronoun Usage
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Writing Basics
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Argumentative Writing
- PSSA - ELA Grade 7: Using & Citing Sources
- PSSA - English Language Arts Grade 7 Flashcards