About This Chapter
PSSA - Math Grade 8: The Number System - Chapter Summary
Students can review the number system with this chapter before they take the PSSA Math Grade 8 exam. We've designed these lessons to help students get familiar with:
- Examples and definitions of rational and irrational numbers
- How rational numbers are expressed as decimals
- Steps to graph rational numbers on a number line
The lessons in this chapter were created by mathematics experts to help your students understand this subject. We also provide self-assessment quizzes with each lesson, to allow students to keep track of their progress.
1. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
2. Decimal Expansion of Rational Numbers
Numbers can be represented in several different forms, including fractions and decimals. In this lesson, learn about decimal forms of numbers and how to convert repeating decimals to rational numbers.
3. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
4. What are Irrational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
Irrational numbers may not be crazy, but they do sometimes bend our minds a little. Learn about common irrational numbers, like the square root of 2 and pi, as well as a few others that businessmen, artists, and scientists find useful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSSA - Mathematics Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Algebraic Expressions
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Linear Equations
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Functions
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Geometric Transformations
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Congruence & Similarity
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Pythagorean Theorem
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Cylinders, Cones & Spheres
- PSSA - Math Grade 8: Statistics & Probability
- PSSA - Mathematics Grade 8 Flashcards