About This Chapter
PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earth's Energy Resources - Chapter Summary
Examine the applications of nuclear energy, the advantages and disadvantages of extracting and processing fossil fuels and the possible alternatives in this chapter. The material here is designed to help you study for the corresponding types of questions you will find on the PSSA test. The lessons cover the following and more:
- Definition and importance of energy in nature
- The process of adapting energy sources for practical use
- Coal mining
- Fossil fuels: oil, coal, gas, and shale
- Types and definition of nuclear energy
- The use of biomass as an energy source
- Pros and cons: wind power, hydropower, geothermal and tidal energy
Our expert instructors provide well-researched and well-presented information in small, easily assimilated doses. Quizzes and chapter exams reinforce your retention of the material, and our fully mobile platform makes it easy for you to access this study guide at your convenience. Study whenever your schedule permits and in any location that offers online access.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. Converting Sources of Energy to Useful Forms
Learn about the many sources of energy humans rely on and how we convert them into forms that we can actually use for practical purposes. Take a quiz and see how much you've absorbed.
3. What Are Fossil Fuels? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Fossil fuels are sources of energy that have developed within the earth over millions of years. Because fossil fuels - oil, natural gas, and coal - take so long to form, they are considered nonrenewable. Learn more about these fuels, including the pros and cons of using them.
4. Coal Mining: Environmental Impacts and Technologies Used To Make Cleaner Coal
Coal is an abundant fuel source, but burning coal is problematic for the environment. In this lesson, you will learn about clean coal technologies, such as coal washing, flue gas desulfurization systems, low-NOx burners, gasification, and Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS).
5. Oil and Natural Gas Reserves: Availability, Extraction and Use
Oil and natural gas reserves are found underground and must be extracted using a drilling method. In this lesson you will learn about the many uses of oil and natural gas, the availability of these valuable resources and how they are extracted.
6. Shale Gas: Hydraulic Fracturing and Environmental Concerns
Shale gas is a type of natural gas that is found trapped within sedimentary rock. It is extracted using a procedure called hydraulic fracturing. In this lesson, you will learn about hydraulic fracturing and the environmental concerns raised by use of this extraction technique.
7. What is Nuclear Energy? - Definition & Examples
You've probably heard of nuclear energy. But what is it? And what is the difference between fusion and fission? This lesson will answer your questions about this exciting form of energy that involves atoms and their nuclei.
8. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
9. Wind Energy: Pros and Cons
Wind energy is a renewable form of energy that involves harnessing the natural energy of the wind. Learn how wind is used to generate electricity and the pros and cons of this energy source.
10. Hydropower: Pros and Cons
Hydropower is power generated from moving water. Learn how this energy from water can be harnessed by hydropower plants to generate electricity as well as the pros and cons of this renewable energy source.
11. Geothermal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
Geothermal energy is heat energy that is stored within the earth. Learn the methods being used to tap into this thermal energy to heat buildings and generate electricity as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this renewable energy source.
12. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSSA - Science Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Research & Experiments
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Scientific Inquiry
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Environmental Issues
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: History, Nature & Relationships of Science
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Interpreting Data
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Evaluating Change in a System
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Scientific Instruments
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Systems, Models & Patterns
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Structure & Function of Living Things
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Organism Characteristics & Biological Evolution
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Natural Selection & Evolution
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Genetics & Inherited Traits
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Biomes
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Ecological Systems
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Human Impact on the Environment
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Solutions & Elements
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Matter
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Transfer & Conversion of Energy
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Solar Radiation & Energy
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Motion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Force
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Analyzing Forces & Motion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earthquakes, Rocks & Earth
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Weathering & Erosion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: The Water Cycle
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Water Systems on Earth
- Ground Water Systems
- Running Bodies of Water
- Weather Events
- Geomorphology of Arid Regions
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Atmospheric, Weather & Wind Patterns
- Global Temperature Patterns & The Atmosphere
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Climate & Climate Change
- Atmospheric Pressure and Wind
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Clouds
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earth, Moon & Sun
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: The Moon
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- PSSA - Science Grade 8 Flashcards