About This Chapter
PSSA - Science Grade 8: Systems, Models & Patterns - Chapter Summary
To give your students the best chance at passing the PSSA - Science Grade 8 test, have your students go through this extensive study guide about systems, models, and patterns. Within the lessons, our instructors address systems theory, the different types of technological systems, scientific uses for simulations and models, and the importance of patterns. Other topics addressed in this chapter are as follows:
- Examples of systems analysis
- Outputs and inputs used by systems
- An explanation of open and closed systems
- The process of engineering design
- The relationship between cause and effect
If you have a competitive student, you can motivate them to use our study materials by challenging them to take our lesson quizzes. There is a lesson quiz connected to every lesson we offer. Your student can take the quiz before or after reviewing the lesson. All of the questions are multiple-choice, and they cover the most pertinent topics, such as definitions, critical thinking, and reading comprehension. As your student prepares for the PSSA - Science Grade 8 test, answering the questions on our quizzes will give your student a baseline of how well he or she knows this particular topic.
1. Systems Analysis: Definition & Example
What is systems analysis? And how is it used to solve problems? Learn about systems analysis and some examples. See how well you analyzed the information in this lesson by taking a quiz.
2. How Systems Use Inputs & Outputs
Systems are all around us. But what are they and how do they work? Learn about inputs and outputs, then see how this lesson's input affected your mental systems by taking a quiz.
3. Closed & Open Systems: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the difference between closed and open physical systems. Explore examples of when each kind of system occurs, and learn why scientists sometimes choose one over the other.
4. Why Scientists Use Models & Simulations
What is a model? What is a simulation? And why do scientists use them? Learn how scientists analyze the past and predict the future. Then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
5. Engineering Design: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will define engineering design and explain the engineering design process from defining the problem to testing and redesigning the final product.
6. Cause and Effect Relationship: Definition & Examples
This lesson explores the relationship between cause and effect and teaches you about the criteria for establishing a causal relationship, the difference between correlation and causation, and more.
7. Patterns in Nature: Definition & Examples
Look carefully at the world around you and you might start to notice that nature is filled with many different types of patterns. In this lesson we will discuss some of the more common ones we come across.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSSA - Science Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Research & Experiments
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Scientific Inquiry
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Environmental Issues
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: History, Nature & Relationships of Science
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Interpreting Data
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Evaluating Change in a System
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Scientific Instruments
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Structure & Function of Living Things
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Organism Characteristics & Biological Evolution
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Natural Selection & Evolution
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Genetics & Inherited Traits
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Biomes
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Ecological Systems
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Human Impact on the Environment
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Solutions & Elements
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Matter
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earth's Energy Resources
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Transfer & Conversion of Energy
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Solar Radiation & Energy
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Motion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Force
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Analyzing Forces & Motion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earthquakes, Rocks & Earth
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Weathering & Erosion
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: The Water Cycle
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Water Systems on Earth
- Ground Water Systems
- Running Bodies of Water
- Weather Events
- Geomorphology of Arid Regions
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Atmospheric, Weather & Wind Patterns
- Global Temperature Patterns & The Atmosphere
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Climate & Climate Change
- Atmospheric Pressure and Wind
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Clouds
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Earth, Moon & Sun
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: The Moon
- PSSA - Science Grade 8: Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- PSSA - Science Grade 8 Flashcards