About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering introductory psychology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about introductory psychology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding psychological treatments or working with their effectiveness
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning psychology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about psychological treatments
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Psychological Treatments chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Psychological Treatments chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any psychological treatment question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do individual and group therapies differ in approach?
- When are psychiatric drugs necessary?
- What is biological therapy?
- How do psychologists decide if treatments are effective?
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
3. Measuring Psychological Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
4. Atypical Antipsychotics: Effects & Mechanism of Action
The discovery of atypical antipsychotics was a great step in the treatment of schizophrenia. Learn about how these drugs work and what effects patients have to deal with. Then you may test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Rational Emotive Therapy: Definition, Techniques & Examples
This lesson provides an overview of a therapeutic approach that can help clients adopt rational thinking patterns. Specific techniques used in rational emotive therapy are also included.
6. Transference in Psychotherapy: Definition & Concept
In this lesson you will learn about transference and countertransference and what the difference is. Learn about the positive and negative impacts that transference can have, and how transference can affect a therapist's ability to effectively treat clients.
7. What Is a Mood Stabilizer? - Effects & Types
The definition of what constitutes a mood stabilizing drug varies, particularly as science identifies new drugs that can be used to stabilize mood. Learn about the varying types and effects of mood stabilizing drugs in this lesson, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs): Definition, effects & Types
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are the most prescribed antidepressant medication. There are a variety of SSRIs out there that are all slightly different. In this lesson you will review what SSRIs are and how they work.
9. What Is a Group Home? - Definition, Levels & Rules
This lesson will teach you about group homes. You will learn the definition of a group home, examine the levels of care which are provided at a group home and understand the rules that impact a group home.
10. Trepanning: Tools, Specialties & Definition
One of the oldest surgical procedures in the world, trepanning has had a fascinating and surprising history. Through this lesson, you will explore the historic and modern uses of trepanning, and learn about the tools that are used to perform the procedure.
11. Clindamycin: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Clindamycin is an antibiotic that is used to treat several bacterial infections. Learn more about how Clindamycin is used, its dosage, and side effects. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
12. What is Pseudoephedrine? - Dosage & Side Effects
This lesson will explain what pseudoephedrine is, how it should be dosed, and its potential side effects. In addition, pseudoephedrine's role in the manufacturing of methamphetamine will be discussed.
13. What is a Psychostimulant?
Humans rely on medicines for many different reasons. A psychostimulant is one type of medicine that helps people every day. Read on to learn about this important type of drug.
14. Anxiolytic: Definition, Medications & Dependence
This lesson discusses anxiolytics and the reasons they are prescribed. We will explore the different types of anxiolytic medications available, the risks associated with using certain kinds of anxiolytics, and the potential for dependence.
15. What is Citalopram? - Uses & Side Effects
Citalopram is a prescription medication used to treat depression. Learn more about citalopram, its uses, and its side effects. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
16. What is Venlafaxine? - Uses & Side Effects
Venlafaxine is an antidepressant drug. Learn more about the uses and side effects of Venlafaxine from this lesson. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
17. What is Amitriptyline? - Uses & Side Effects
Learn about amitriptyline and disorders it is prescribed to treat illustrated with a real life example. Gain information on side effects including those that are benign, allergic reactions, or life threatening.
18. Lithium Carbonate: Formula, Dosage & Side Effects
Learn what lithium carbonate is and what it is prescribed to treat illustrated with a real life example. Learn about the side effects and dosage recommendations.
19. Metoprolol: Uses & Side Effects
In this lesson, we will go over the drug classification of metoprolol. And then we will review when metoprolol is indicated for therapeutic uses and what kind of side effects the medication has.
20. Benefits & Disadvantages of Electronic Health Records
The first commercial Electronic Health Records system began in 1972, but their use in doctors' offices is still not universal. Proponents point to a long list of benefits gained by using EHRs, but what are the disadvantages?
21. Using Service Dogs to Treat PTSD
Did you know that service dogs can be trained to call 911 on a rescue phone? Learn more about service dogs and how they assist individuals with PTSD from this lesson. Then test your knowledge with a quiz following the lesson.
22. What are Electronic Health Records? - Definition & Overview
Electronic health records have been around since the late 1970s, but they've only recently begun to boom in the health care world. In this lesson, learn about the definition, history, and benefits of EHRs.
23. What is Adventure & Wilderness Therapy?
Do you know what adventure therapy is? What about wilderness therapy? This lesson goes over their similarities and differences, as well as a brief history of their development in the United States.
24. What is Orthopsychiatry?
In this lesson you'll learn what orthopsychiatry is and where it began. You'll also learn where to get more information in the field of orthopsychiatry.
25. 5 Stages of Change Model
This lesson goes over the five stages of change model, explaining who created the model, defining each of the five stages, and explaining the sixth stage that may occur.
26. Who Prescribes Medication?
Medication can be an important part of any treatment plan, but when it comes to prescription drugs, you will need a specific person to order the medication. Through this lesson, you will learn who can write prescriptions and when a referral might be needed.
27. What is the Center for Change in Utah?
This article provides information about the Center for Change in Utah. Learn more about the treatments offered by this organization, the disorders it addresses and the admissions process.
28. What is the Center for Deployment Psychology?
Read this article to find out more about the Center for Deployment Psychology. You can learn about the center's goals and the training options it offers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Psychology: Help and Review course
- History and Approaches in Psychology: Help and Review
- Biological Bases of Behavior: Help and Review
- Sensation and Perception: Help and Review
- States of Consciousness: Help and Review
- Learning: Help and Review
- Cognition: Help and Review
- Motivation and Emotion: Help and Review
- Developmental Psychology: Help and Review
- Personality: Help and Review
- Social Psychology Topics: Help and Review
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Help and Review
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement in Psychology: Help and Review
- Neurological Treatment for Psychological Issues