About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other introductory psychology work.
- Identify the psychological treatment concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our introduction to psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about psychological treatments and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding individual therapy, group therapy, psychiatric drugs or any other psychological treatments topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their psychological treatments unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in introductory psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about psychological treatments simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about psychological treatments on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the treatment techniques employed in individual and group therapy.
- Learn the role psychiatric drugs play in treating psychological disorders.
- Explain how biological therapy can be used to treat psychological disorders.
- Describe the effectiveness of different types of treatments.
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Group Therapy: Definition, Uses & Types
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
3. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Biological Therapy for Psychological Problems: Definition & Examples
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
5. Measuring Psychological Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
6. Albert Ellis: Theory & Concept
Learn more about Albert Ellis, the father of cognitive-behavioral therapy and founder of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT). Learn about REBT theory and therapy, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Global Assessment Of Functioning (GAF): Scale & Overview
This lesson briefly describes the Global Assessment of Functioning, or GAF, and how it is used to rate a person's overall level of mental health during a diagnostic interview.
8. Therapeutic Approaches in Psychology: Definition & Concept
There are many therapeutic approaches to treating mental disorder. In this lesson, you will learn about the most prominent types of psychotherapy then test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What Are Antipsychotics? - Types, Classification & Examples
People with psychotic disorders, which include schizophrenia and the manic phases of bipolar disorder, are typically prescribed one or more antipsychotic medications. Learn about those medications here.
10. Repressed Memory: Definition, Symptoms & Therapy
Learn what repressed memory is, the different symptoms that are presented, and how to treat it. Afterwards, take a quiz to see if you have what it takes to identify repressed memory.
11. ACT Therapy Training & Exercises
ACT is a type of psychotherapy that utilizes the key concepts of acceptance, commitment and mindfulness in the treatment of mental health issues. In this lesson, we will learn more about ACT therapy, training and some common exercises ACT therapists utilize in their practices.
12. Medicaid Coverage for Mental Health Services
This lesson goes over how mental health care is covered by Medicaid, a low-income insurance program. We'll talk about how mental health care is provisioned and how the passage of the Affordable Care Act impacted this.
13. Psychological Contracts: Definition & Importance
This lesson goes over the concept of a psychological contract. You'll briefly learn about the basics of two types of psychological contracts and the importance of psychological contracts in the workplace in general.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- History and Approaches: Tutoring Solution
- Biological Bases of Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- Sensation and Perception: Tutoring Solution
- States of Consciousness: Tutoring Solution
- Learning: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition: Tutoring Solution
- Motivation and Emotion: Tutoring Solution
- Developmental Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Personality: Tutoring Solution
- Theories of Social Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Tutoring Solution
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement: Tutoring Solution