About This Chapter
Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision - Chapter Summary
If you would like to learn about the most significant topics related to treatment, prevention and supervision in psychology, you can go through this chapter and review our informative text and video lessons. These lessons are a great way to improve your understanding of different types of therapies in the field of psychology.
Our lesson instructors will go over the different theories used in specific types of psychological therapies, as well as the different techniques used in each. Your instructors have extensive expertise in these areas, so you shouldn't have any difficulties understanding any of these topics. Review these lessons to go over:
- The counseling intake process
- The definition of and approaches to psychotherapy
- Phobia exposure therapy
- Multicultural theory
- The definition of and techniques associated with feminist therapies
- Group counseling theories
- Counseling models
- Informed consent
Once you complete different lessons, you can answer the questions in that lesson's practice quiz to make sure that you have understood the topic. The final chapter exam will help you test yourself on the subject when you have completed all of the lessons. Your personal Dashboard will also help you track your progress as you learn about different topics.
1. The Counseling Intake Process & Initial Interview
We will look at the counseling intake process as a person who is entering in counseling. Each step will be explained by a process we are all familiar with: medical doctor's office visits.
2. What Is Psychotherapy? - Definition, Types & Approaches
Psychotherapy is a treatment process to help people deal with psychological issues, such as depression, anxiety, and posttraumatic stress disorder. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of how it works or how problematic untreated mental health issues can be. This lesson covers what psychotherapy is and how it is used to help others.
3. Exposure Therapy for Phobias: Definition & Concept
In this lesson, you'll learn what a phobia is and how it can be treated with exposure therapy. The lesson includes a concrete example of the therapeutic process for treating a fear of flying, and it also includes a quiz to help you evaluate your level of understanding.
4. Multicultural Theory and Treatment of Abnormal Functioning
How does culture affect mental health? What types of psychological disorders are seen around the world? What types are seen in just a few places? And, how can psychologists approach patients from many different cultures? In this lesson, we'll look at the multicultural theory of abnormal psychology.
5. Feminist Therapy: Definition & Techniques
Learn what makes feminist therapy different from other forms of therapy. This lesson reviews the origins and different types of feminist therapy and explores common techniques used by feminist therapists.
6. Group Counseling Theories
Group counseling theories vary according to the philosophy behind them. We will look at four of the most popular group counseling theories, and how they are alike and unalike in this lesson.
7. The Importance of Counseling Theory and Models
The importance of different theories in counseling practice is discussed in this lesson. Learn what evidence-based practice is and whether all theoretical models are used with each client.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Using Data in Psychology
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Consultation Models in Psychology
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards