About This Chapter
Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Whether you're continuing your study of life span development or just getting started, use this chapter to examine some of the relationships we form and the types of achievement we seek in an attempt to become our ideal selves during early adulthood. Our instructors can show you how career choice, friendships, marriage and parenthood factor into our idea of success with video lessons and quizzes on the following:
- Theories of love and types of love relationships
- Dimensions to self concept
- Gender differences in friendships
- Predictors of marital satisfaction
- Stages in the family life cycle
- Factors leading to success at work
|Sternberg's Triangular Theory of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions||Identify Sternberg's three components of love and the eight types of love relationships.|
|Theories of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions||Describe the evolutionary, equity and attachment theories of love.|
|Friendship and Marriage in Early Adulthood||Examine gender differences in friendships during early adulthood. Outline factors that can predict marital satisfaction.|
|Social Development of Adults: Self Concept||Recognize dimensions to self concept among adults. Identify changes to self concept occurring over time.|
|Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging||Describe characteristics of each traditional family life stage.|
|The Family Cycle & Adult Development: Marriage, Parenthood & the Empty Nest||Understand developmental changes associated with marriage, parenthood and the empty nest. Explore different grandparenting styles.|
|Achievement in Early Adulthood: Work & Socioemotional Success||Learn how factors like education, work ethic and mentoring can impact success at work. Examine the significance of socioemotional achievement.|
|Career Choices in Early Adulthood||Discuss issues facing dual-earner couples as well as the financial considerations for pursuing higher education.|
|Gender Identity and Roles in Early Adulthood||Investigate the various gender roles and identities associated with early adulthood and marriage.|
|Marital Issues in Early Adulthood||Study the major marital issues that can occur in early adulthood, including spousal abuse and infidelity.|
1. Sternberg's Triangular Theory of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions
Love is an important and complex topic of study for social psychologists. In this lesson, we begin our discussion about love with Robert Sternberg's triangular theory of love. We define each of his eight types of love and identify real-world examples.
2. Theories of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions
During early adulthood, many people fall in love. But why do people fall in love? And how can they be happy? Watch this lesson to learn more about theories on love, including the evolutionary, equity, and attachment theories.
3. Friendship and Marriage in Early Adulthood
During early adulthood, friendships and romantic relationships take center stage as people become more independent of their parents. Watch this lesson to find out about gender differences in friendships and what makes a marriage successful.
4. Social Development of Adults: Self Concept
How would an adult think about his or her self-concept? In this lesson, we'll take a look at what makes up self-concept in adulthood, its changes over time, and how it relates to self-esteem and self-image.
5. Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging
In this lesson, we discuss the four stages of traditional family life that sociologists study. Although the concept of family has changed with time, these four stages remain prominent in our culture.
6. The Family Cycle & Adult Development: Marriage, Parenthood & the Empty Nest
Once a person enters adulthood, the common belief is that development is nearly complete. However, marriage and children have a great impact on adult development. This lesson will describe developmental changes adults encounter as they marry, become parents, and become grandparents.
7. Achievement in Early Adulthood: Work & Socioemotional Success
During your twenties and thirties, achievement is a major driving factor. In this lesson, we'll take a look at both career and socioemotional achievement, including what they are and factors that can lead to success in those areas.
8. Career Choices in Early Adulthood
Many adults spend the majority of their waking lives at work. As such, your career is a big part of your life. Watch this lesson to find out more about work-life decisions that have to be made by many people, especially career couples.
9. Gender Identity and Roles in Early Adulthood
As people age, they begin to think about how their gender affects who they are. Watch this lesson to find out how people construct their gender identity, how society defines gender roles, and how both of these things can impact a marriage.
10. Marital Issues in Early Adulthood
During the period of life between ages 20 and 40, many people get married. Watch this lesson to look at some of the issues that can crop up in a marriage, including physical and emotional infidelity and spousal abuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Domains of Human Development
- Research Methods and the Study of Life Span Development
- Theoretical Foundations for Life Span Developmental Psychology
- The Impact of Genetics in Human Development & Psychology
- Prenatal Development Concepts
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood
- Physical and Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
- Death and Dying: Stages and Psychological Impact
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology Flashcards