About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering life span developmental psychology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn life span developmental psychology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding job satisfaction factors or other topics related to psychosocial development in middle adulthood
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning psychology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about psychosocial development in middle adulthood
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on psychosocial development in middle adulthood. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a psychosocial development in middle adulthood unit of a standard life span developmental psychology course. Topics covered include:
- Mid-life crisis and empty-nest syndrome
- Stability of personality traits vs. change in personality over time
- Job dissatisfaction causes
- Divorce and remarriage
- Effects of cultural differences on the experience of middle adulthood
1. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Personality Framework: Strengths & Weaknesses
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality framework is a theory of personality types that helps managers with job placement, conflict management, team building and career development.
2. Middle Adulthood Transitions: Mid-Life Crisis & Empty Nest Syndrome
Middle age is a time of transitions, when people's lives are changing rapidly. In this lesson, we'll look at two ways that people often react to those changes: mid-life crises and empty nest syndrome.
3. Stability vs. Change in Personality
What makes you who you are? How are you different from other people? And will your personality ever change? Watch this lesson to find out more about the 'Big Five' personality traits and how people change over their lifespan.
4. What is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors
Job satisfaction is more of a journey, not a destination, as it applies to both employees and the employer. As we will see in this lesson, there is no definitive way to measure job satisfaction or to ensure it.
5. Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses
There is a level of job satisfaction for each person and each job performed. Problems occur when people are not happy with their jobs. In this lesson, we will look at causes for job dissatisfaction as well as employee responses.
6. Family Configurations and Changes in Middle Adulthood
During middle adulthood, many people find that their family dynamics change. In this lesson, we'll look at some of these changes, like becoming a grandparent and the challenges faced when a person is taking care of both their kids and parents.
7. Divorce and Remarriage in Adulthood
When people fall in love, they often want to get married. But what happens when 'happily ever after' turns out to not last 'ever after?' In this lesson, we'll look at some psychological aspects of divorce and remarriage.
8. Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood is a time of great change for most people. But men and women experience those changes differently. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the way gender impacts middle age, including the famed mid-life crisis and gender crossover.
9. Job Performance, Career Change, and Unemployment in Middle Adulthood
Making a living can be a major endeavor! Watch this lesson to find out more about work in middle adulthood. We'll cover the topics of career and job changes, age discrimination and unemployment and their effect on middle age.
10. Workplace Satisfaction Issues: Problems & Solutions
Because adults spend so much of their waking life at work, it is a major part of most adults' lives. Watch this lesson to find out more about issues that can occur in the workplace, including the glass ceiling and job burnout.
11. Cultural Differences in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood can be a full and challenging time of life, but not everyone experiences middle age the same way. Watch this lesson to find out how culture impacts middle adulthood, including the concepts of generativity and mid-life crisis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Help and Review course
- Domains of Human Development: Help and Review
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Help & Review
- Help & Review for Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations
- Impact of Genetics in Development & Psychology: Help & Review
- Prenatal Development Concepts: Help and Review
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Help and Review
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Cognitive & Psychosocial Development in Infants & Toddlers
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Help and Review
- Help & Review - Psychosocial & Physical Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Help and Review
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence: Help and Review
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive & Physical Development in Middle Adulthood: Help & Review
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood: Help & Review
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact