About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life span developmental psychology work.
- Identify the psychosocial development in middle adulthood concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our life span developmental psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about psychosocial development in middle adulthood and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding personality frameworks, mid-life crises, job satisfaction or dissatisfaction, family configurations, gender role changes, workplace and job performance issues, cultural differences, or any other topic specific to psychosocial development in middle adulthood
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their psychosocial development in middle adulthood unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in life span developmental psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about psychosocial development in middle adulthood simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live life span developmental psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about psychosocial development in middle adulthood on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the Myers-Briggs type indicator personality framework.
- Learn about the challenges of middle adulthood transitions.
- Understand the evidence that suggests that personality traits are stable over time.
- Describe the factors that influence job satisfaction and job dissatisfaction.
- Take a look at family configurations in middle adulthood.
- Examine trends and patterns regarding divorce and remarriage in adulthood.
- Learn how gender roles change in middle adulthood.
- Discuss career changes and unemployment in middle adulthood.
- Take a look problems related to workplace satisfaction and their solutions.
- Understand how cultural differences affect the way we experience middle adulthood.
1. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Personality Framework: Strengths & Weaknesses
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality framework is a theory of personality types that helps managers with job placement, conflict management, team building and career development.
2. Middle Adulthood Transitions: Mid-Life Crisis & Empty Nest Syndrome
Middle age is a time of transitions, when people's lives are changing rapidly. In this lesson, we'll look at two ways that people often react to those changes: mid-life crises and empty nest syndrome.
3. Stability vs. Change in Personality
What makes you who you are? How are you different from other people? And will your personality ever change? Watch this lesson to find out more about the 'Big Five' personality traits and how people change over their lifespan.
4. What is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors
Job satisfaction is more of a journey, not a destination, as it applies to both employees and the employer. As we will see in this lesson, there is no definitive way to measure job satisfaction or to ensure it.
5. Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses
There is a level of job satisfaction for each person and each job performed. Problems occur when people are not happy with their jobs. In this lesson, we will look at causes for job dissatisfaction as well as employee responses.
6. Family Configurations and Changes in Middle Adulthood
During middle adulthood, many people find that their family dynamics change. In this lesson, we'll look at some of these changes, like becoming a grandparent and the challenges faced when a person is taking care of both their kids and parents.
7. Divorce and Remarriage in Adulthood
When people fall in love, they often want to get married. But what happens when 'happily ever after' turns out to not last 'ever after?' In this lesson, we'll look at some psychological aspects of divorce and remarriage.
8. Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood is a time of great change for most people. But men and women experience those changes differently. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the way gender impacts middle age, including the famed mid-life crisis and gender crossover.
9. Job Performance, Career Change, and Unemployment in Middle Adulthood
Making a living can be a major endeavor! Watch this lesson to find out more about work in middle adulthood. We'll cover the topics of career and job changes, age discrimination and unemployment and their effect on middle age.
10. Workplace Satisfaction Issues: Problems & Solutions
Because adults spend so much of their waking life at work, it is a major part of most adults' lives. Watch this lesson to find out more about issues that can occur in the workplace, including the glass ceiling and job burnout.
11. Cultural Differences in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood can be a full and challenging time of life, but not everyone experiences middle age the same way. Watch this lesson to find out how culture impacts middle adulthood, including the concepts of generativity and mid-life crisis.
12. Empty Nest Syndrome: Definition & Explanation
Empty nest syndrome refers to the grief, depression, and loneliness that some parents feel after their children have moved out of the house. Learn about the symptoms of empty nest syndrome, how it can impact health, and more.
13. Chronological Age: Definition & Explanation
If you know your birth date, your chronological age should be very easy to determine. It is a measure of your age based on the calendar date on which you were born. Explore chronological age, how it differs from mental age, and more.
14. What Are Baby Boomers? - Definition, Age & Characteristics
Baby boomers have shaped the cultural landscape for more than 60 years and will continue to have a significant influence as they move into the so-called 'retirement years.' Learn who these baby boomers are and what caused the boom along with key characteristics of this fascinating demographic group. Finally, test your knowledge with quiz questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Domains of Human Development: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics in Development & Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Prenatal Development Concepts: Tutoring Solution
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Tutoring Solution
- Infant Cognitive & Psychosocial Development: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical & Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial & Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact: Tutoring Solution