About This Chapter
Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Now that you're familiar with the physical and cognitive changes occurring in middle adulthood, use these lessons to examine some of the psychosocial transitions associated with middle age, such as mid-life career changes or the challenges of coping with empty nest syndrome. Learn how these experiences vary by culture, and examine the ways in which they impact men and women differently. By the time you reach the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with the following:
- Personality theories as they relate to middle adulthood
- Divorce, remarriage and changes to family configuration
- Mid-life career changes and causes of job dissatisfaction
- Gender and cultural variations in development
|Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Personality Framework: Strengths & Weaknesses||Learn about the extraversion-introversion, sensing-intuition, judging-perceiving and thinking-feeling scales measured by the MBTI. Explore the pros and cons of using this instrument.|
|Mid-Life Crisis and other Major Transitions in Middle Adulthood||Understand research and statistics related to mid-life crisis and empty nest syndrome.|
|Stability vs. Change in Personality||Survey the big five personality traits alongside research supporting the idea that these traits remain stable over time. Identify criticisms of this view.|
|What Is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors||Define job satisfaction. Describe some of the methods used to measure it.|
|Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses||Outline common causes of job dissatisfaction, such as low pay and lack of interest, as well as some of the behaviors associated with dissatisfied employees.|
|Family Configurations and Changes in Middle Adulthood||Discuss intergenerational relationships and changes to family configurations in middle adulthood, such as becoming a grandparent or caring for both returning children and aging parents.|
|Divorce and Remarriage in Adulthood||Examine trends, patterns and statistics related to divorce and remarriage.|
|Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood||Understand the changes in gender roles that occur during middle adulthood. Learn how middle age affects men and women differently.|
|Job Performance, Career Change and Unemployment in Middle Adulthood||Define job performance. Explain the issues related to career change and unemployment in middle adulthood.|
|Workplace Satisfaction Issues: Problems & Solutions||Examine work-related problems, including burnout, alienation and re-evaluation.|
|Cultural Differences in Middle Adulthood||Understand that the development stages of middle adulthood vary by culture.|
1. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Personality Framework: Strengths & Weaknesses
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality framework is a theory of personality types that helps managers with job placement, conflict management, team building and career development.
2. Middle Adulthood Transitions: Mid-Life Crisis & Empty Nest Syndrome
Middle age is a time of transitions, when people's lives are changing rapidly. In this lesson, we'll look at two ways that people often react to those changes: mid-life crises and empty nest syndrome.
3. Stability vs. Change in Personality
What makes you who you are? How are you different from other people? And will your personality ever change? Watch this lesson to find out more about the 'Big Five' personality traits and how people change over their lifespan.
4. What is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors
Job satisfaction is more of a journey, not a destination, as it applies to both employees and the employer. As we will see in this lesson, there is no definitive way to measure job satisfaction or to ensure it.
5. Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses
There is a level of job satisfaction for each person and each job performed. Problems occur when people are not happy with their jobs. In this lesson, we will look at causes for job dissatisfaction as well as employee responses.
6. Family Configurations and Changes in Middle Adulthood
During middle adulthood, many people find that their family dynamics change. In this lesson, we'll look at some of these changes, like becoming a grandparent and the challenges faced when a person is taking care of both their kids and parents.
7. Divorce and Remarriage in Adulthood
When people fall in love, they often want to get married. But what happens when 'happily ever after' turns out to not last 'ever after?' In this lesson, we'll look at some psychological aspects of divorce and remarriage.
8. Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood is a time of great change for most people. But men and women experience those changes differently. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the way gender impacts middle age, including the famed mid-life crisis and gender crossover.
9. Job Performance, Career Change, and Unemployment in Middle Adulthood
Making a living can be a major endeavor! Watch this lesson to find out more about work in middle adulthood. We'll cover the topics of career and job changes, age discrimination and unemployment and their effect on middle age.
10. Workplace Satisfaction Issues: Problems & Solutions
Because adults spend so much of their waking life at work, it is a major part of most adults' lives. Watch this lesson to find out more about issues that can occur in the workplace, including the glass ceiling and job burnout.
11. Cultural Differences in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood can be a full and challenging time of life, but not everyone experiences middle age the same way. Watch this lesson to find out how culture impacts middle adulthood, including the concepts of generativity and mid-life crisis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Domains of Human Development
- Research Methods and the Study of Life Span Development
- Theoretical Foundations for Life Span Developmental Psychology
- The Impact of Genetics in Human Development & Psychology
- Prenatal Development Concepts
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood
- Physical and Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
- Death and Dying: Stages and Psychological Impact
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology Flashcards