About This Chapter
Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health - Chapter Summary
Most people experience challenges in their life, and some of these challenges may lead to problems associated with mental health. These lessons provide a detailed explanation of psychosocial disorders as well as mental health diagnoses and treatment options.
Within this chapter, the available lessons may be presented as videos or text-based articles. The video lessons include voiceovers from our instructors. During the videos, the instructors teach you specific facts, definitions, terms, and related concepts. Similar information is covered in the text-based articles, but instead of hearing the instructors, you will read through the information that has been carefully organized with the use of headers, visual aids, and keyword set off in bold and italics. After you make your way through all of the lessons in this chapter, you should have the knowledge to do the following:
- Explain the traits and components of psychosocial health
- Point out positive steps and factors for psychosocial health improvement
- Review the roles of psychologists and psychiatrists
- Determine definitions and diagnoses of mood disorders
- Establish mental health perspectives on anxiety disorders
1. What Is Psychosocial Health? - Definition, Components & Traits
Psychosocial health includes four important components of well-being. We'll go over what they are and what traits people with good psychosocial health share in this video lesson.
2. Improving Psychosocial Health - Factors & Positive Steps
What characterizes psychosocial health? This lesson focuses on the important factors that influence an individual's psychosocial health and the positive steps that can be taken to improve psychosocial health.
3. Psychiatrists & Psychologists: Assessment & Treatment Roles
Psychologists and psychiatrists do the best they can to help people overcome psychosocial health concerns. Learn more about how these mental health professionals assess and treat patients with emotional and psychological disorders in this lesson.
4. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
5. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101