About This Chapter
Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The purpose of this chapter is to help you develop an understanding of schizophrenia, a chronic mental disorder typically categorized by an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality. Psychotic disorders, which can result in abnormal thoughts and emotional responses, will also be covered. In addition to recognizing some of the more common symptoms, you'll find out how a person's environment or genes may affect their psychotic behaviors. When you've finished watching this fascinating series of videos, you'll be familiar with how the following disorders are caused, expressed and treated:
- Brief psychotic disorders
- Delusional mental health disorders
|Psychotic Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health||Define psychotic disorders within the context of mental health.|
|Symptoms of Schizophrenia: Positive and Negative||Identify some of the positive and negative manifestations of schizophrenia.|
|Phases of Schizophrenia: Prodromal, Active and Residual||Identify the different stages of schizophrenia.|
|Genetic and Environmental Influences of Schizophrenia: Causes and Effects||Explain the influence of environmental factors and genetics on schizophrenia.|
|Delusional Mental Health Disorders: Definition and Characteristics||Define delusional mental health disorders, including their main characteristics.|
|Brief Psychotic Disorder: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment||Summarize the causes, manifestations and treatments of short-term psychotic disorders.|
|Treating Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders: Managing Mental Health||Explain the treatment options for schizophrenics and other individuals suffering from psychotic disorders.|
1. Psychotic Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
A psychotic disorder is a mental condition that causes a person to have a break from reality. Learn more about psychotic disorders, common symptoms—including hallucinations, delusions, catatonia and thought disorder—how this condition has been viewed throughout history, and effective treatments.
2. Schizophrenia: Definition & Overview
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by psychotic symptoms and a break from reality. Get an overview of the definition, types, and causes of schizophrenia, explore the differences between positive and negative symptoms, and see how it develops within a person's mind.
3. Symptoms of Schizophrenia: Positive and Negative
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder defined by positive, or extraordinary, symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions, as well as negative symptoms such as lack of emotion. While antipsychotic drugs often work well on the positive symptoms of schizophrenia, they do not treat the negative symptoms of the disease. This lesson will explore the various positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
4. Phases of Schizophrenia: Prodromal, Active, and Residual
Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder that includes three phases: prodromal, active, and residual. Learn about the phases of schizophrenia and explore the different symptoms within each phase of the psychiatric disorder.
5. Genetic and Environmental Influences of Schizophrenia: Causes and Effects
Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder marked by hallucinations and delusions with complex causes and effects. Examine the genetic components and environmental factors that contribute to the manifestation of this disorder.
6. Delusional Mental Health Disorders: Definition and Characteristics
Delusional mental health disorders are psychotic disorders characterized by a belief in something that is non-existent or untrue. Explore the definition and characteristics of delusional mental health disorders and learn about the diagnosis and seven types of delusional disorders.
7. Brief Psychotic Disorder: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
A brief psychotic disorder is a mental illness that lasts between one day and one month. Learn the four symptoms required to be present for a doctor to make a diagnosis, the three main subtypes of brief psychotic disorder, how genetics and environment can contribute to brief psychiatric disorders, and the available treatments.
8. Treating Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders: Managing Mental Health
Schizophrenia, a psychotic disorder marked by hallucinations and delusions, and other mental health conditions can be difficult to manage without medication. Learn about psychotic disorders, antipsychotic drugs, and other treatments for complex disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards