About This Chapter
Public Relations for Business - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Take a look at the different ways businesses influence public opinion and build collaborative relationships with stakeholders in this chapter. You'll get an overview of public relations management activities and learn about crisis planning and management. When you've watched the video lessons in this chapter, you'll know about:
- The significance of public issues in corporations
- How Public Relations departments are structured
- The steps used by management to process issues
- The benefits of stakeholder engagement in business
|Public Issues & Their Significance in the Modern Corporation||Define public issues and examine their importance in modern corporations.|
|Public Relations Management: Skills, Activities & Departmental Structure||Discover the skills that are required to effectively manage public issues and learn about who is responsible for managing these issues. Examine the structure of a public relations department and discuss its activities.|
|What Is an Effective Issue-Management Process?||List the steps in the issue management process. Discern how this process can be the most effective.|
|Why Companies Use Public Relations||Identify reasons why companies use public relations as part of their promotional mix. Discover different public relations tools that you have likely seen everyday.|
|Crisis Planning & Management in Business: Definition & Elements||See the definition for crisis and highlight the elements that make an effective crisis management plan, such as risk assessment and crisis prevention.|
|Building Collaborative Relationships Between Organizations & Their Stakeholders||Learn how businesses create collaborative relationships with their stakeholders and list the benefits of these relationships. Discuss the use of engagement, dialogue and network building.|
1. Public Issues & Their Significance in the Modern Corporation
In this lesson, you'll learn how corporations use environmental analysis and competitive intelligence to keep abreast of public issues and why this is important to keeping their stakeholders satisfied.
2. Public Relations Management: Skills, Activities & Departmental Structure
Companies utilize a public relations team to create mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and stakeholders. In this lesson, you will learn about public relations management, skills, activities, and the departmental structure.
3. What Is an Effective Issue Management Process?
Companies have to constantly be alert for potential public issues. In this lesson you will learn how to utilize an effective issue management process to proactively solve problems.
4. Why Companies Use Public Relations
This lesson covers the reasons why companies use public relations as part of their promotional mix. Discover different public relations tools that you have likely seen everyday.
5. Crisis Planning & Management in Business: Definition & Elements
Companies should be educated about crisis planning and management in business. In order to avert or repair any crises, there are numerous crisis planning elements that need to be in place in order to prevent a corporate downfall.
6. Building Collaborative Relationships Between Organizations & Their Stakeholders
Companies need to invest time in building collaborative relationships between organizations and their stakeholders. In this lesson, you will learn about stakeholder engagement stages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 108: Business Ethics course
- Introduction to Business Ethics
- Employees, Stockholders, & Corporate Governance
- Management in Organizations
- The Relationship Between Business, Government & Society
- Diversity in the Workforce
- Business-Government Relations
- Government Regulation on Business
- Business' Influence on the Political Environment
- The Executive Branch of Government: Composition & Roles
- Antitrust Laws in Business
- Corporate Social Responsibility & Citizenship
- Business & the Community
- The Media's Impact on Business
- Consumer Rights & Regulations
- Ethics in Advertising
- Strategies of Special Interest Groups
- Technology, Business, & Society
- Environmental Issues in Business
- The Global Business Environment
- International Trade & Business Law
- Studying for Business 108