About This Chapter
Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures - Chapter Summary
Pulmonary nursing involves the use of various tools and equipment to manage patients in need of oxygenation and mechanical ventilation, and this chapter covers the use of these devices. You will review facts about oxygen therapy, intervention processes, therapeutic gases and more.
You will also study various procedures for pulmonary conditions, such as thoracentesis and tracheostomy. Once you have finished your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Recite patient management techniques for and nursing roles in the following: bronchoscopy, thoracentesis, chest tube insertion and tracheostomy
- List ways to promote oxygenation and non-invasive positive pressure ventilation methods
- Describe aspects of oxygen therapy
- Detail the management of patients in need of prone positioning
- Name the types of therapeutic gases used in pediatric care
- Discuss types of positive pressure ventilators and complications of mechanical ventilation
- Provide details about intervention procedures used for patients with pulmonary disorders
Short video and text lessons offer expert instruction and 24/7 accessibility, making them the quickest and most efficient way you can review this material. Print lesson transcripts to create handy reference tools and use online contact forms to reach out to instructors with any questions. Lesson quizzes serve as useful self-assessment tools that measure your understanding of each topic as you progress through the chapter.
1. Endotracheal Tubes: Indications & Patient Management
Endotracheal tubes are inserted into the airway when a patient is unable to breathe on his/her own. This lesson plan will discuss the reasons why an endotracheal tube is needed and how to manage the patient.
2. Bronchoscopy: Indications & Patient Management
A bronchoscopy is done to assess the airway and lungs. It can help diagnose diseases and perform treatments. This lesson will discuss the indications for a bronchoscopy and how to manage the patient.
3. Chest Tubes: Indications & Patient Management
This lesson describes the anatomy of the pleural cavity and conditions that are indications for the insertion of a chest tube. The nursing role in tube insertion and ongoing monitoring and assessment of patients with chest tubes is emphasized.
4. Thoracentesis: Indication & Patient Management
A thoracentesis is a procedure that is done to remove excess fluid from the pleural space. This lesson will discuss the indications and management of a thoracentesis.
5. Tracheostomy: Indication & Patient Management
A tracheostomy is a procedure and device that assists with breathing using a tube that is placed in the trachea. This lesson will discuss the indications and patient management for a tracheostomy.
6. Techniques Used to Promote Oxygenation
Have you ever wondered why there are so many different ways to deliver oxygen to patients? Learn more about the different techniques that are used to promote and maintain oxygen and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation: Indications & Patient Management
Patients with acute or chronic respiratory failure may need assistance with ventilation. In this lesson, we will learn about different types of non-invasive positive pressure ventilation delivery systems.
8. Oxygen Therapy: Indications & Patient Management
In this lesson, we'll discuss what causes someone to need supplemental oxygen, devices that can be used to deliver oxygen and how to monitor patients receiving oxygen therapy.
9. Prone Positioning: Indications & Patient Management
Prone positioning can be very a very beneficial position for ill patients. In this lesson, we will learn about when prone positioning is indicated and how to effectively manage this position.
10. Mechanical Ventilation: Conventional & Non-Conventional
There are several different types of mechanical ventilation, which include the use of both conventional and non-conventional ventilators. Check out this lesson to learn about these different types of mechanical ventilators!
11. Complications in Mechanical Ventilation: Identification & Prevention
Even though mechanical ventilation can be life saving, it can also cause several serious and life-threatening complications. Educate yourself on the most common complications of mechanical ventilation by checking out this lesson!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing