About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 9th grade English work.
- Identify the punctuation concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 9th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about punctuation and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding independent and dependent clauses, commas, sentence fragments or any other punctuation topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their punctuation unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 9th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about punctuation simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live 9th grade English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about punctuation on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Identify independent and dependent clauses.
- Discuss the basic rules for using commas correctly.
- Understand how to use commas to avoid confusion in clauses and contrasting sentences.
- Learn how to avoid run-on sentences, sentence fragments and comma splices.
- Describe the proper usage of different types of punctuation, including periods, colons, semicolons, question marks, exclamation points and parentheses.
1. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
2. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
3. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
4. Question Mark: Definition & Use
A question mark (?) is a form of punctuation placed at the end of a sentence. Its main purpose is to specify a query or question. In this lesson, we will take a look at when you should and should not use a question mark in your writing.
5. Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning
The exclamation mark (!), also called the exclamation point, is a form of punctuation that is sometimes used at the end of a single word, phrase or complete sentence. Its goal is to express an extremely strong and intense statement.
6. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
7. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
8. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Tutoring Solution
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to High School Writing: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Capitalization & Spelling: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution