About This Chapter
Punctuation & Spelling - Chapter Summary
This entertaining chapter makes it simple to improve your writing by fully understanding punctuation rules and the process of incorporating correct spelling. Review engaging video lessons to closely examine the basics of commas, parentheses, capitalization, hyphens and much more. When finished, you will be able to:
- Use colons, semicolons and periods in writing
- Understand the correct usage of commas, parentheses and dashes
- Avoid confusion in clauses and contrasting sentence parts by using commas
- Share examples of apostrophes
- Use brackets, hyphens, quotation markets and ellipses
- Define capitalization and use it correctly in writing
- List strategies and tips for spelling correctly in written work
- Describe commonly confused words in English
Each lesson in this short chapter is available as a video that averages about 8 minutes or a full transcript you can read online or print. Choose your favorite lesson format and enjoy studying the basics of punctuation and spelling. Test your knowledge of this subject area by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. If you need additional information about specific topics covered in this chapter, feel free to send your questions to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
2. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
3. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
4. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
5. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
6. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
7. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
8. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
9. Commonly Confused Words in English
Is it 'accept' or 'except?' 'Affect' or 'effect?' How do you know when to use 'there,' 'their,' or 'they're?' Watch this video lesson to learn about some confusing words in English and how to properly use each one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Occupational English Test (OET): Study Guide & Practice course
- OET: About the Test
- OET Listening Sub-Test Overview
- Basic Listening Skills
- OET Reading Sub-Test Overview
- Reading Comprehension & Skills
- OET Writing Sub-Test Overview
- Essay Writing Skills
- Sentence Structure Basics
- OET Speaking Sub-Test Overview
- Speech & Speaking Skills
- Occupational English Test (OET) Flashcards