About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from Business Math will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how to solve and factor quadratic equations or complete the square.
- Need an efficient way to learn quadratic equations and functions.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra business learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Quadratic Equations and Functions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Quadratic Equations and Functions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- How do I solve quadratics that are not in standard form?
- How can I use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations?
- How do I use factoring to solve quadratic equations?
- How can I factor polynomials with a non-1 leading coefficient?
- How do I use FOIL in reverse?
- How can I complete the square?
1. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
2. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
3. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
4. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
5. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
6. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
7. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Math: Help and Review course
- Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions: Help and Review
- Linear Equations and Inequalities: Help and Review
- Number Sense - Business Math: Help and Review
- Depreciation & Salvage Values: Help and Review
- Interest & Purchases: Help and Review
- Probability and Statistics for Business: Help and Review
- Math for Financial Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Project Management Formulas & Calculations
- Categorical Data