About This Chapter
Quadratics & Higher Order Polynomials - Chapter Summary
Feel confident that you fully understand quadratics and higher order polynomials by reviewing the lessons in this comprehensive chapter. Each one explores a new and exciting concept to help you develop or refresh the skills you need to perform operations on quadratic functions, inequalities and equations. Review the lessons in any sequence you desire. In no time, you will be prepared to:
- Factor quadratic equations using the FOIL method in reverse
- Demonstrate how to factor quadratic equations with a non-1 leading coefficient
- Graph and solve quadratic inequalities, and graph a system of quadratic inequalities
- Display an ability to apply quadratic functions to motion under gravity and simple optimization problems
- Model a given data set or situation using quadratic formulas
- Define cubic functions and describe their use
Tailor the resources in this chapter to your personal learning and studying needs. Review the lessons anytime and from anywhere via your computer, smartphone or tablet. Before, during or after exploring lessons, assess your knowledge of quadratics and higher order polynomials by taking short quizzes. If you need additional details about any lesson topic, feel free to submit your questions to our experts.
1. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
2. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
3. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
4. Graphing a System of Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
What is a system of quadratic inequalities? What are the steps to graphing them? Find the answers to these questions by watching this video lesson. When you finish, you will be able to graph these yourself.
5. Applying Quadratic Functions to Motion Under Gravity & Simple Optimization Problems
Quadratic functions are very useful in the real world. Watch this video lesson and learn how these functions are used to model real world events such as a falling ball.
6. Using Quadratic Functions to Model a Given Data Set or Situation
Watch this video lesson to learn how quadratic functions are used to model situations and data gathered from real world scenarios. See how our function fits our data and situation well.
7. Cubic Function: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore a specific function called a cubic function in mathematics. We'll define this type of function and look at some various examples involving cubic functions to help us to understand what cubic functions look like and how they can be used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Polynomial Functions
- Solving Algebraic Equations Overview
- Operations with Radical Expressions
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Functions Overview
- Solving & Graphing Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing 1 & 2 Variable Inequalities
- Solving & Graphing Quadratics
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Rational Functions & Expressions
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra II Flashcards