About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Precalculus Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn to solve quadratic equations. There is no faster or easier way to learn about precalculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn to solve quadratic equations by substitution.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a precalculus curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Quadratics unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Quadratics Unit Objectives:
- Use two binomials to solve quadratic inequalities.
- Use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations.
- Solve quadratic equations that aren't in standard form.
- Assign the multiplication property of zero and the greatest common factor when solving quadratics.
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
6. Solving Quadratic Equations by Substitution
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve more complicated quadratic equations by the method of substitution. Learn how substitution makes your problem solving easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Graphing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Linear Systems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Linear Models: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Geometry Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Recognizing Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Graph Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rate of Change: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomials: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Rational Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Evaluating Logarithmic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions in Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Basic Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Laws of Sine & Cosine: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors & Matrices: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Sequences: Homeschool Curriculum
- Identifying Conic Sections: Homeschool Curriculum
- Parametric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Continuity: Homeschool Curriculum
- Limits in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Groups & Sets in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum