About This Chapter
Radical & Exponential Expressions - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter make sure you understand the basics of radical and exponential expressions. Explore what these math concepts mean and how they can be used to perform math operations. Each lesson covers a unique topic to help you review at a comfortable pace. Once you're finished with this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss radicands, radical expressions and how to handle a square root
- Use radical notation for addition and subtraction
- Multiply then simplify radical expressions
- Utilize the correct steps to solve radical expressions
Watch the lessons as fun videos or review them as written transcripts. Both formats provide a comprehensive overview of radical and exponential expressions. If you want to revisit portions of the video lessons without watching them in full, utilize clickable timelines located below the videos. Gauge your understanding of lesson concepts by taking short quizzes and a chapter exam. Any questions you have about this chapter's topics can be submitted to our experts.
1. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
2. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
3. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
4. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Real & Rational Numbers
- Exponents & Operations
- Properties of Operations
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Nonlinear Equations & Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Sequences & Patterns in Math
- Understanding & Comparing Functions
- Function Graphs & Models
- Perimeter, Area & Volume Overview
- Properties of Angles & Lines
- Properties of Shapes Overview
- Geometric Relationships & Transformations
- Systems of Measurement & Conversion
- Geometric Construction
- Data Interpretation in Math
- Dispersion & Probability Models
- Logical Reasoning & Visual Representations of Data
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158) Flashcards