About This Chapter
Radioactivity in Chemistry - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter's engaging lessons to review radioactivity in chemistry. These short video and text-based lessons outline the properties, production and uses of radioactive isotopes, transuranic elements, actinides and more. You'll also study radiation and evaluate common radiation detection methods. Upon completion of this chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Evaluate the uses of radioactive isotopes
- Understand how commercial radioisotopes are produced
- Outline the causes and effects of radiation
- Assess several methods that are used to detect radiation
- Recognize the properties and uses of actinides
- Define the transuranic elements
To enhance your studying experience and help you retain essential radioactivity concepts, we've included lesson-specific quizzes and a comprehensive chapter exam. Our expert chemistry instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can use the course Dashboard feature to navigate to specific lesson topics. The chapter can be accessed on any computer or mobile device, which allows you to study at any time that's convenient.
1. Radioactive Isotope: Definition & Uses
There are over 1,000 known radioactive isotopes of elements in the periodic table. There are many applications of radioactive isotopes in various fields. In this lesson, we will learn all about radioactive isotopes and their uses.
2. Using Radioisotopes in the Sciences
How are radioisotopes used in science? Learn about their applications for the dating of rocks, in medicine, environmental science and materials science. See what you know with a quiz.
3. Commercial Radioisotopes: Definition & Production
Radioisotopes are generated for many purposes including medical tests, industrial applications and scientific research. In this lesson, we will investigate what they are used for and how they are produced.
4. What is Radiation? - Definition, Causes & Effects
Learn about the reality and pervasiveness of radiation in our world. Discover some of the causes of radiation, and find out about the risks and rewards of harnessing it for our use.
5. Radiation Detection: Methods & Examples
Certain isotopes of elements are unstable and undergo radioactive decay. Radiation is the result of radioactive decay. In this lesson, we will investigate various methods to detect radiation.
6. Actinides: Definition, Properties & Uses
There is a family of elements found on the periodic table called actinides. Explore this lesson to learn about what the actinides are, their properties, and uses. Test your knowledge with a short quiz.
7. Transuranium Elements: Definition & Production
Transuranium elements are the elements with atomic numbers higher than uranium's atomic number. In this lesson, we will investigate what is special about these elements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Chemistry: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Scientific Experimentation in Chemistry
- Chemistry Lab Equipment & Safety
- Measurement & Data in Chemistry
- Scientific Research in Chemistry
- Overview of the Chemistry of the Earth
- Atoms & Molecules in Chemistry
- Properties of Earth Materials
- Metals Overview
- The Periodic Table Overview
- Measuring Amounts of Reactants
- Water in Chemistry
- Solubility of Water
- Specific Heat of Water
- Carbon & Energy
- Combustion Reactions & Energy
- Fossil Fuel Products
- Understanding Biomass Research
- Overview of Renewable Ethanol
- Electrochemistry & Redox Reactions
- Indicators in the Acidic Environment
- Understanding Acidic Oxides
- Overview of Acids
- Acid & Base Definitions
- Principles of Esterification
- Chemical Monitoring & Management
- Chemical Monitoring in the Environment
- Industrial Chemistry Overview
- Shipwrecks, Corrosion & Conservation
- Biochemistry of Movement
- Biochemical Reactions in Muscle Contractions
- The Chemistry of Art
- Atomic Structure & Transition Elements
- Forensic Chemistry Overview
- DNA & Forensic Evidence
- HSC Chemistry Flashcards