About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Rate of Change chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topic||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Rates of change||Motion, slope and tangents as a rate of change|
|Tuesday||Mean Value Theorem||Definition and examples|
|Wednesday||Rolle's Theorem||Defining the specialized case of MVT|
|Thursday||Derivatives||Formal definition and graphical representations|
|Friday||Differentiable||Definition and example|
1. Velocity and the Rate of Change
Running from your little sister or just window-shopping, your speed is just a measure of how fast you move, or how your position is changing over time. In this lesson, learn about how velocity is a rate of change.
2. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
3. What is the Mean Value Theorem?
Three people set off on a car trip. They all start at the same time and end at the same time. Learn what calculus says about how fast they traveled along the way as you study the Mean Value Theorem in this lesson.
4. Rolle's Theorem: A Special Case of the Mean Value Theorem
Super C, the human cannonball, is shot into the air at 35 mph, but his average vertical velocity is zero. In this lesson, you will use Rolle's theorem to explain what this means about Super C's flight.
5. Derivatives: The Formal Definition
The derivative defines calculus. In this lesson, learn how the derivative is related to the instantaneous rate of change with Super C, the cannonball man.
6. Derivatives: Graphical Representations
Take a graphical look at the definitive element of calculus: the derivative. The slope of a function is the derivative, as you will see in this lesson.
7. What It Means To Be 'Differentiable'
Lots of jets can go from zero to 300 mph quickly, but super-jets can do this instantaneously. In this lesson, learn what that means for differentiability.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Complex Numbers: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Quadratics: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Function Operations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Advanced Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs: Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Sequences & Series: Lesson Plans
- Sets in Algebra: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections: Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Lesson Plans
- Continuity: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Limits: Precalculus Lesson Plans