About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school trigonometry work.
- Identify the rational expressions and function graphs concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our High School Trigonometry Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about rational expressions and function graphs to earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding arithmetic operations with rational expressions, rational equation problem-solving steps, the graphs of rational functions or any other rational expressions and function graphs topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their rational expressions and function graphs unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school trigonometry
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about rational expressions and function graphs simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live trigonometry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about rational expressions and function graphs on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide rational expressions by solving practice problems.
- Explore the steps necessary to solve rational equations.
- Graph rational functions with polynomials.
- Define vertical asymptotes, domain and range.
1. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
2. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
3. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
4. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
5. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
6. Graphing Rational Functions That Have Linear Polynomials: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can graph rational functions with linear polynomials in just a few steps. Also learn what kinds of functions these are and what you need to look for to graph them.
7. Graphing Rational Functions That Have Polynomials of Various Degrees: Steps & Examples
Graphing rational functions is not as hard or as scary as it sounds. Sure, the functions may be big, but watch this video lesson and you will see that graphing these functions can actually be easy.
8. Analyzing the Graph of a Rational Function: Asymptotes, Domain, and Range
A rational function arises from the ratio of two polynomial expressions. The graphs of rational functions often have distinct characteristics. In this lesson, we look at how to analyze some of those characteristics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution course
- Real Numbers - Types and Properties: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Linear Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Inequalities in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Complex Numbers in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Systems of Linear Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Modeling in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Quadratics in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Quadratic Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Coordinate Geometry Review: Tutoring Solution
- Functions for Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Function Operations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Graph Symmetry in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing with Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Polynomial Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Triangle Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Trigonometric Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Trigonometric Identities: Tutoring Solution
- Applications of Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Tutoring Solution
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Tutoring Solution