About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other SAT math work.
- Identify the rational expressions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT Mathematics Level 2 Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about rational expressions to prepare for the subject test. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding arithmetic operations with rational expressions, the uses of constant and average rates, rational equations or any other rational expressions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their rational expressions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to excel on the SAT Mathematics Level 2 subject test
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about rational expressions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live math tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about rational expressions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review steps for adding and subtracting rational expressions.
- Learn how to multiply and divide rational expressions.
- Find out how to solve a rational equation.
- Determine how to solve rational equations with literal coefficients.
- Study methods for finding constant and average rates.
- Practice solving problems using rates.
1. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
2. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
3. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
4. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
5. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
6. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
7. Solving Rational Equations with Literal Coefficients
Watch this video lesson and be amazed at how you can solve a rational equation with numbers and letters in it. Learn how to solve rational equations with literal coefficients, and you will learn how to solve any rational equation you come across!
8. Solving Problems Using Rational Equations
Follow the steps you will learn in this video lesson to help you solve rational equation problems. See how the process turns what looks like a huge problem into a much simpler and easier to manage problem.
9. Finding Constant and Average Rates
Watch this video lesson to learn the differences between constant and average rates. You will learn the steps you need to take to find them and get two great visuals you can keep in mind to help you solve these rate problems.
10. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 2: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT Math Level 2 Structure & Strategy: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Math Review: Tutoring Solution
- Square Roots: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Algebraic Expressions in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors: Tutoring Solution
- Linear Equations & Inequalities in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Polynomials in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Functions in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Matrices: Tutoring Solution
- Sequences and Series in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Exponentials and Logarithms in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Complex Numbers in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Coordinate Geometry Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Advanced Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Three-Dimensional Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Overview of Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Probability, Combinations & Permutations: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Data & Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Logic: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in Math: Tutoring Solution