About This Chapter
Reaching Company & Team Goals - Chapter Summary
Let our experienced instructors guide your employees through the process of developing and reaching useful goals for their team in these lessons. The videos walk them through why setting goals is an important organizational managerial function and how to make sure they align their goals within the overarching company goals and mission. Specifically, the lessons discuss:
- The definition of business goals
- How to set department/team goals
- Importance of aligning team goals with company goals
- Measuring progress toward a goal
Our video and text lessons come as part of a thorough training and testing package. Your employees can watch the videos, review the lesson transcripts for key terms and concepts, and complete the chapter and lesson assessments to see how well they retained the information. They can return to the lessons whenever they need to review and get pointers.
How It Helps
- Strengthens goals: Your employees learn to develop goals which drive growth and are tied to measurable results.
- Unifies effort: Ensuring your staff understands how to tie their goals with the higher goals of the organization, and to make sure employees and teams within their purview do the same, can put the entire organization on a single trajectory, maximizing operational impact.
- Clarifies direction: Having clear, well-aligned goals will help employees at every level understand exactly how their work ties into the bigger picture of the company.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Define business goals as a term and provide examples
- Develop department goals which are relevant and easy to apply
- Match their goals with the broader goals of the company overall
- Establish means to measure goal achievement and a schedule to do so
1. What Are Business Goals? - Definition & Examples
Goals are used to help a business grow and achieve its objectives. They can be used to foster teamwork and help the business describe what it wants to accomplish. Setting goals is an important part of any business plan.
2. Setting Business Department Goals
Setting goals is an important part of organizational management. In this lesson, we'll look at a method that departments can use to develop goals that fit into the overall vision of their organization. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Practical Application: Setting Goals for Different Business Departments
One of the hallmarks of great organizational leadership is the ability to balance guidance and autonomy. One important tool for finding this balance is helping individual departments or business units set goals.
4. Aligning Team & Company Goals
Teams are supposed to set goals that support the company's greater goal, but sometimes it's necessary to realign these goals. Let's look at how goals are made and how different echelons work together to successfully accomplish the company's mission.
5. Reviewing Goal Achievement: Comparing Results to Set Goals
Progress towards goals must be monitored and reviewed to determine whether you're on the right track. In this lesson, you'll learn about comparing results against a standard to determine goal achievement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Setting Goals as a Team course