About This Chapter
Reaction Rates in Chemistry - Chapter Summary
This chapter is filled with informative lessons developed by science instructors who make it easy for you to understand the basics of reaction rates in chemistry. Review these lessons at a comfortable pace to fully absorb details about the rate of chemical reaction, rate laws, activation energy and more. After finishing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss the rate of chemical reaction
- Define the rate constant and discuss rate laws
- Describe the relationship between the rate of chemical reaction and the effect of temperature
- Explain the basics of activation energy and catalysts
- Provide details about reaction mechanisms and the rate determining step
Select the lessons you want to review in any order that suits your existing knowledge of reaction rates in chemistry. Revisit those you review as many times as you'd like, and take their accompanying quizzes to test your understanding. Feel free to send any questions you have about the topics covered in the lessons to our experts. Reinforce your knowledge with this chapter's comprehensive practice exam.
1. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
2. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
3. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
4. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
5. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Chemistry: Test Prep & Practice course
- Introduction to Chemistry & Matter
- Atomic Structure in Chemistry
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Nuclear Processes
- Introduction to Chemical Bonds
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- About the NY Regents Examinations
- NY Regents Exam - Chemistry Flashcards