About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 11th grade English work.
- Identify the reading and understanding essays concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 11th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to read and understand essays and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to improve reading comprehension, determine the audience for essays, edit essays or any other reading and understanding essays topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their reading and understanding essays in 11th grade unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 11th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about reading and understanding essays simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about reading and understanding essays on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to improve reading comprehension and understand the gist of an essay.
- Determine the best audience for an essay.
- Edit essays written by other writers.
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. How to Determine the Best Audience or Readers for an Essay
Who should be reading this? Not every essay can be enjoyed by everyone equally. How do you know who is the best target for an essay? This lesson will help you figure that out.
3. Peer Editing: How to Edit Essays By Other Writers
Alfred Sheinwold once said, 'Learn all you can from the mistakes of others.' A great way to improve your own writing is by editing the writing of others - especially when you have to find the not so obvious mistakes. That is what we will be learning in this lesson - how to edit the work of other writers. The biggest benefit will be in helping you avoid those same mistakes in your own writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 11th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 11th Grade Literary Terms, Theory, and Analysis: Tutoring Solution
- Anglo Saxon and Medieval Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Gothic and Romantic Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 19th Century Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 20th Century Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- African American Writers - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 11th Grade Contemporary Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Literature for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Listening and Viewing in 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Terms for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Basics of Writing Essays in 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials - 11th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 11th Grade Writing - Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 11th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 11th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 11th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution