About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other SAT literature prep work.
- Identify the essay reading and comprehension topics that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT Subject Test in Literature Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to read and understand essays and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to determine a reading audience, identify the main idea of an essay, use context to find the meaning of words or any other essay reading and comprehension topic.
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their SAT literature preparation
- Prefer learning about literature visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the SAT Subject Test in Literature
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the SAT Subject Test in Literature
- Need access to SAT literature materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make preparing for the SAT Subject Test in Literature simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Review the techniques for reading and understanding on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Find the main idea of an essay.
- Improve reading comprehension skills.
- Decide on the best audience for essay.
- Peer edit essays written by other writers.
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
3. How to Determine the Best Audience or Readers for an Essay
Who should be reading this? Not every essay can be enjoyed by everyone equally. How do you know who is the best target for an essay? This lesson will help you figure that out.
4. Peer Editing: How to Edit Essays By Other Writers
Alfred Sheinwold once said, 'Learn all you can from the mistakes of others.' A great way to improve your own writing is by editing the writing of others - especially when you have to find the not so obvious mistakes. That is what we will be learning in this lesson - how to edit the work of other writers. The biggest benefit will be in helping you avoid those same mistakes in your own writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Literature: Tutoring Solution course
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning in Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language in Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Language and Sentence Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Structure & Organization in Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Genres: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry Terms & Types: Tutoring Solution
- Drama: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Periods in American History: Tutoring Solution
- Analyzing American Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Prominent Plays & Playwrights: Tutoring Solution
- American Novelists: Tutoring Solution
- Periods in English Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Authors & Works in English Literature: Tutoring Solution