About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 10th grade English work.
- Identify the reading and understanding media concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 10th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about reading and understanding media to earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to interpret performance art, find meaning in visual media, generate a written response to music or any other reading and understanding media topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their reading and understanding media unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 10th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to read and understand media simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about reading and understanding media on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn strategies for interpreting visual media.
- Differentiate between observing a product and appreciating the process that went into making that product.
- Find meaning in performance art.
- Write responses to various art forms.
1. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
2. Experiencing and Interpreting the Arts: Looking at Process & Product
In this lesson, we'll consider how your knowledge of art can help you better understand and enjoy it. We'll look at the way that an interpretation of art depends on knowing its context and the process behind it.
3. Understanding Performance Art: Finding the Thesis, Narrative & Meaning
Learn how to 'read' a performance the same way you would read a book or story. In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for identifying thesis, narrative, and meaning in the performing arts.
4. How to Write in Response to Other Art Forms
In this lesson, we'll look at the similarities and differences between writing about literature and writing about other art forms. We'll consider some of the qualities of good responses and some approaches to take when writing a response.
5. Road Signs and Meanings
Road signs can be found everywhere. They are on the highways, freeways, in our neighborhoods and back roads. They give us information or warn us about oncoming dangers. This lesson is a brief overview of the more common signs found on the roadways of the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 10th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- Text Analysis and Close Reading for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Developing as a Reader and Writer: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Forms and Genres for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Shakespeare for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- African American Writers: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Prose for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Ancient Literature for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Literary Criticism: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 10th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 10th Grade Writing - Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 10th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 10th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 10th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution