About This Chapter
Reading Basic Graphs, Charts & Figures for Kids - Chapter Summary
Whether students are learning how to read basic graphs, charts and figures for the first time or need to brush up on their existing knowledge, this chapter can help! Use entertaining lessons to make sure students understand sector graphs, tally charts, scale drawings and more. After completing this chapter, students will be ready to:
- Create three commonly used graphs
- Define the picture graph and sector graph
- Read and interpret bar graphs, tally charts and scale drawings
- Measure relative coordinates and read coordinate graphs
Students can navigate the lessons in any sequence you choose and visit them as often as needed to gain full comprehension of the process of reading bar graphs, charts and figures. Lessons are available in a secure online environment and can be accessed using any computer or mobile device. Find out how much your students understand about topics covered in this chapter using lesson quizzes and a practice exam. Feel free to send any questions about the lessons to our subject-matter experts.
1. Creating Graphs: Lesson for Kids
Graphs are a great way to analyze and display data in an easy to read and understand manner. In this lesson, you will learn how to create three of the most commonly used graphs: bar graphs, pictographs, and circle graphs.
2. What is a Picture Graph? - Definition & Examples
We will explore the function of a picture graph and look at some examples. Also, in this lesson you will learn to create questions and organize, represent, and interpret data from a picture graph.
3. What is a Sector Graph?
When you gather data and want to view the results, graphs are an extremely helpful tool in displaying the information in an easy to read and understand manner. In this lesson, you will learn what sector graphs are, how to create them, and how to compare data using them.
4. Reading & Interpreting Bar Graphs
In this lesson, you will learn about the parts of a bar graph and what they mean. You will look at the title, labels, and bars of data, and then you can practice reading and interpreting a sample bar graph.
5. Reading & Interpreting Tally Charts
This lesson explains how to read and interpret tally charts. It provides real-world examples of tally charts and discusses how and why we use them to make life easier.
6. Reading Coordinate Graphs as Maps & Measuring Relative Coordinates
Learn how to read and create points on a graph as if you were looking at a map. Discover how to travel up, down, left and right on the graph! Learn how to read number pairs on the graph and find points, too!
7. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NAPLAN Year 3: Test Prep & Practice course
- Understanding the NAPLAN Tests
- Overview of Grammar for Kids
- Spelling & Capitalization for Kids
- Punctuation Rules for Kids
- Reading Comprehension for Kids
- The Writing Process for Kids
- Counting, Number Patterns & Estimation for Kids
- Decimals & Fractions for Kids
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division for Kids
- Math Word Problems for Kids
- Understanding Geometry for Kids
- Time, Money & Measurement for Kids
- NAPLAN Year 3 Flashcards