About This Chapter
Reading Comprehension for Kids - Chapter Summary
This informative chapter provides an overview of reading comprehension for kids. It includes discussions on topics such as story elements, context, and genres. Each lesson is short and can be completed in the order of preference. After finishing these lessons, your child should be able to:
- Understand the main idea of readings
- Identify story elements and events
- Determine tone in readings
- Find context clues
- Comprehend figurative language
- Recognize literary genres
- Find information in fiction and nonfiction
- Interpret fables and folktales
- Discuss what a biography is
These lessons are written by subject matter experts and provide plenty of examples to ensure kids can easily understand the information presented. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to assess your child's knowledge of the topic. Quiz worksheets are printable and can be used as a reference.
1. Understanding the Meaning of Readings: Lesson for Kids
Reading is fun, but it can also be work. When you read, it is important to understand and remember what you have read. This lesson will give you steps for understanding a narrative.
2. Main Idea: Lesson for Kids
What is the main idea of a passage? How do you identify the main idea? Read this lesson to find the answers to these questions and to discover what a hamburger and a stool have to do with finding the main idea.
3. Story Elements Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered what makes up the different parts of stories? In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of story elements, including characters, setting, problem, events, and solution.
4. Picking Out Events in Readings: Lesson for Kids
Do you read carefully? If you do, you know how to identify elements of a story such as setting, characters, events, and themes. In this lesson, you will learn how to locate the key events in a story.
5. Determining Tone in Readings: Lesson for Kids
Understanding tone is a vital reading comprehension skill. In this lesson, we will discuss strategies for finding the tone of a written work and explore how tone influences content and meaning.
6. Context Clues Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Have you ever been reading and come to a word you don't know, but somehow you still understood what the sentence was talking about? If you have, you've used context clues to figure it out. This lesson will teach you what context clues are and how to use them to understand what you're reading.
7. Figurative Language Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Figurative language makes writing spicy! This lesson focuses on many types of figurative language and gives you some fun examples so you can write your own!
8. Literary Genres Lesson for Kids: Definition & Types
Reading is a magical thing, especially when you find a book that you just can't put down. There is something for any reader to enjoy! Come and learn about some of the different literary genres in this lesson.
9. Finding Information in Nonfiction: Lesson for Kids
Nonfiction writing is based on facts, but sometimes it's hard to find the information you want in the text. In this lesson, you will learn about how to find information in nonfiction texts like textbooks, newspapers, and scientific magazines.
10. Finding Information in Fiction: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn about different types of stories you can read and the different parts that make up a fiction story. Read an example story and practice finding important information in fiction yourself!
11. Fables Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Discover the meaning of words like fable and moral. Read about some notable fables and a man named Aesop who was most famous for telling these short stories.
12. Folktale Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
You will read many genres of books in your life, and one of the most common types are folktales. In this lesson, you'll learn about folktales, characteristics of these stories, and the purpose of folktales, and you'll look at some examples.
13. Biography Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Have you ever wanted to learn about the first man on the moon? How about the person who invented the telephone? Reading biographies helps to give us information about important people. This lesson takes a look at characteristics and examples of biographies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NAPLAN Year 3: Test Prep & Practice course
- Understanding the NAPLAN Tests
- Overview of Grammar for Kids
- Spelling & Capitalization for Kids
- Punctuation Rules for Kids
- The Writing Process for Kids
- Counting, Number Patterns & Estimation for Kids
- Decimals & Fractions for Kids
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division for Kids
- Math Word Problems for Kids
- Understanding Geometry for Kids
- Time, Money & Measurement for Kids
- Reading Basic Graphs, Charts & Figures for Kids
- NAPLAN Year 3 Flashcards