About This Chapter
Reading Comprehension Instruction - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors assembled these lessons to help individuals, like yourself, learn or improve their understanding of different ways to assess students' reading skills. They'll also prepare you to assist students in expanding those ability. Some of the key topics covered in the lessons of this chapter include:
- How you can assess students' reading levels and reading comprehension skills
- Different factors that affect students' comprehension skills
- Strategies used to help individuals comprehend material they have read
- Ways to improve cognitive skills and notations strategies associated with reading comprehension
- What to consider when selecting grade-appropriate texts
- Uses of differentiated instruction when teaching reading skills
Each lesson explains these concepts in detail. Also, the lessons feature short assessments to test your knowledge of the material covered. After you complete each assessment, return to the lesson to go over any material you might have missed, or use the teacher tabs to ask our instructors for assistance.
1. Methods for Determining Students' Reading Level
Assessment is essential. All students are at different reading levels and abilities. Watch this video lesson to learn ways to assess the reading level of your students.
2. What Factors Help & Hinder Reading Comprehension?
Being able to understand what we read is center to a solid reading program. What kinds of things help or hinder us from comprehending? This lesson will explain these factors and help you understand how they impact reading development.
3. Language Structure & Text Features in Reading Comprehension
In this lesson we will examine how language structure and text features can help you comprehend what you are reading and, ultimately, remember the information better!
4. How a Student's Background Affects Reading Comprehension
Cultural and linguistic backgrounds can have a tremendous effect on a student's level of comprehension in a particular text, which may affect recall and interpretations.
5. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
6. How to Teach Reading Comprehension
Teaching reading comprehension requires instilling in the learner the use of several strategies and skills. This lesson will focus on cognitive skills and notation strategies that will enhance reading comprehension.
7. Selecting Grade-Appropriate Texts
This lesson identifies three key aspects of a text to look at when choosing grade-appropriate readings for students. It also you gives tools and suggestions to use to find readings that will meet the needs of the variety of readers in a classroom setting.
8. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
9. Differentiated Instruction: Adapting the Learning Environment for Students
Differentiated instruction is a great strategy that teachers use to accommodate a wide variety of learning needs. In this lesson, we discuss differentiated instruction and identify which aspects of the classroom can be differentiated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards